Wonky search function

• Thread starter Hyacinth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
It seems like the search function doesn't always work properly. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I was recently searching for an Axe Fx II in the Gear for sale section, and the search came up with nothing even though there's one on the front page and I'm sure many others on other pages. What's up with this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
It could be because the search function requires a certain minimum word length. I'm pretty sure "fx" and "ii" are too short, and even three letters might not be enough. Searching for "EMG" or "ESP" returns nothing as well.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Agree 100% the search function sucks and it's especially painful if you post a repeat thread since everyone says "use the search dumbass!"

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree 100% the search function sucks and it's especially painful if you post a repeat thread since everyone says "use the search dumbass!"

See post above yours :lol:

Also worth noting that the sub-forums on here are marked in the url as directories so you can limit it to individual sections when using google so you'd include "site:www.sevenstring.org/forum/feedback-suggestions/" to search this subforum for example

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I think it's got something to do with limiting the load on the servers. One or two letter searches would return an enormous number of results and would therefore require huge resources to index. This about sums up my technical knowledge though...

But yeah, Google's site specific search works better.