Working with the public sucks.

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
This much we know. But the last four years of my job have been the hardest I’ve ever experienced. I work in a career related to health and wellness. Which attracts people who are into non conventional ideas.
That’s fine and dandy, I could care less what your personal views are on any given topic. So long as you aren’t harming anyone.

But, what’s been making my life much more difficult over the recent years is just how angry people are. Once Trump became president, it caused a very noticeable shift in many people’s attitudes towards me just trying to do my job.

In summary, be kind to those that help you. A little kindness goes a long way, you’ve had a rough day? Don’t take it out on me. It’s like poking a caged animal. There’s nothing I can do to defend myself without the potential risk of pissing you off and having to defend myself because Karen raised hell with management.
Please! Please, keep your crack pot conspiracy theories to yourself!!! This is the worst part, because again. I’m held captive while you spew insanity.

Our country needs to invest much more in Mental Health programs and services. The way I see it, a significant percentage of the population is walking around with undiagnosed mental illness.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Maybe there are some sectors where dealing with the public isn't bad, but healthcare (in which I worked for ~10yrs) is about as tough as it gets. The clientele are, aside from wellness visits, experiencing some manner of medical problem and are likely afraid for their health, afraid that whatever's wrong is going to expensive, and probably went through a lot of hassle & waiting just to get the damn appointment. They're on edge. Healthcare workers rarely have it easy, either, and it seems that some fail to hide their stress when dealing with the public. It creates a nasty feedback loop.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nothing to add save that I agree, and my condolences of being at the receiving end of a lot of increased public anger these last few years. Hopefully things begin to turn, but I don't think we'll be fully done with the influence of Trump until after 2022, and even then only if Trump-aligned candidates clearly underperform. Best of luck, man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
My favorite are the rash of mental children that defiantly walk into groceries and other places with a “mask required” sign with no mask. They strut around, clearly just loving the attention and looking for someone to try and start a fight with them. They’re the same garbage people that got off on making customer service peoples’ lives hell before the pandemic. You can always see how unhinged they are if you make eye contact. These people are everywhere, they’re dangerously stupid and aggressive, and desperately make me want to move out of this country as fast as possible.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
But, what’s been making my life much more difficult over the recent years is just how angry people are. Once Trump became president, it caused a very noticeable shift in many people’s attitudes towards me just trying to do my job.

This is interesting; but, I'm having trouble connecting the dots. Could you be more specific on your "health and wellness" industry?