Worn knife edges on NEW guitar?

Curtis1

Reaction score
I have had a few guitars with floyds so i know how to tune and set them up etc. I have owned this guitar about a month. With it in PERFECT tune, if i just pull up the whammy bar then check tuning it is sharp, if i then depress it again it returns to tune.

This says to me the knife edges are worn, is this possible on a guitar that is brand new?? Kinda upset i spent all my money on the guitar i really wanted and it cant even be played properly
icon_sad.gif

Please help me fellas!!

Curtis1

Reaction score
I literally just tried this about 10 mins ago but it hasnt worked :(!! I put vaseline on them and worked it in and turned the posts around to get it all in there.

Still staying about 1/4 sharp or flat unless i tap it into place. Genuinely baffled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
I thought pulling on the whammy bar was supposed to make it go out of tune? Am I missing something?

Curtis1

Reaction score
Yep you have missed something! You then LET GO of the bar, and it should return to tune. NOT stay sharp. :(

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I literally just tried this about 10 mins ago but it hasnt worked :(!! I put vaseline on them and worked it in and turned the posts around to get it all in there.

Still staying about 1/4 sharp or flat unless i tap it into place. Genuinely baffled.
Did you have the bridge at tension when you turned the posts around? Because that will definitely ruin your knife edges.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Did you have the bridge at tension when you turned the posts around? Because that will definitely ruin your knife edges.

Even still, those knife edges have to be made of pot metal for this to happen with one adjustment lol.

If this is a brand new guitar, and the chap stick didnt work, then take that thing back man.

One last thing I can think of that will make it "stick", is if you have the bridge too low on the body, but you're giving me indication that its a floating bridge setup. Im wracking my brain here, I just cant think of anything that would cause this issue.

Curtis1

Reaction score
Very odd isnt it! I have ordered myself a trem stopper bracket, going to set the trem to dive only i think!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Sometimes you get duds.

However, I will say I have used OFRs, Edges (almost all varieties at one time or another), Jackson Licensed Floyds, and Floyd Specials. My conclusion is that in general, all of them work just fine. Unless it is damaged or incorrectly set up.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
When stuck in these situations, I try to think of what else could be going wrong other than the obvious.

Strings not stretched fully? Strings slipping in the locking nut? Movement in the neck affecting pitch? Perhaps a bad tension to spring ratio?

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
My two edge pros both do this. The edge zero's not so much. I took one apart once and you can see it's dulled but I haven't a clue how to sharpen myself. Chapstick helps, but it's not a per solution.

@turning while at tension (facepalm) I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!! But now it makes sense.

BTW, It's really only if I just go BONKO pulling back, push forward and everything is kosher and it's not way off anyways. Pulling back more gently is fine.

I wish there was a competent tech in this area :mad:

Curtis1

Reaction score
Potentially found the problem. I had my bridge set up at a slight upward angle i THOUGHT the edge zero 2 had a wedge shape so i set it to have the baseplate level. Actually after taking the bridge out to check it, it is designed to be set up flush with the body!!!

Latest posts