Worried about my memory.

• Thread starter MitchellJBurgess
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I thought I should come here for some help, and see what's going on.
I'm 16 and go to school as well as work in fast food.
But I'm very worried about my memory, I always forget people's names, not necessarily after a while but for a week or 2 I'm always forgetting and always get critisized if it's found out.
Also at work today was the minute I cracked and thought I should seek help, I was making a cheseburger and finished, went to put it in the microwave and then realized I've already made one for that order and I had forgotten.
These are just small things that obviously don't cause too much hurt to what's happening, but really, it worries me about my memory.

Could this just be puberty?
Could this just be not enough sleep? (although I did get 10 hours sleep last night).
I'm just worried.

tedtan

Reaction score
It sounds more like a lack of focus than a memory issue. Try REALLY concentrating on a person's name and face when you first meet them and repeat their name a few times as you speak with them during that initial meeting.

As for the cheeseburger (why on God's green earth was it going into a microwave? :wallbash:), if it was an isolated, one time thing, I wouldn't worry about it. Shit like that happens sometimes when its busy. If it (or similar) has happened before, try REALLY paying attention to the order as you make it. It's easy to get distracted by all the other things going on around us, but try saving that for the slower times and focus on the task at hand.

Vinchester

Reaction score
I'm 25 and have always been horrible at remembering faces/names. After seeing them a while I remember though. I think people have different ways of remembering. Some are good at remembering pictures, sound, written words, or even smell.

I agree with the above that it's mroe of a lack of focus (I'm horrible at focusing lol). Especially at your age, I doubt your brain would malfunction.

If you feel it's starting to get too much, see a doctor just to be safe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
What's your diet like?

Your general health?

Any drug use at all? Alcohol, pot, pills, anything?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me - these things happen. As you get older with more responsibility, you have to try harder to cover all your bases. When we have conference calls at work - I ALWAYS write down everyone's name.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
If your memeory is truly bugging you, keep a log- go get a little notebook and chronicle your experiences. Review them often and see if there is a trend of concern or if it's minor.

Often, just writing things down helps you remember them.

And if you find yourself looking at your log, thinking, "Wow, I don't even remmeber writing that down!" then you might want to talk to someone about it.

I mean, besides us guys at sevenstring dot .. something... com? net? I've got it written down here somewhere....

wlfers

Reaction score
Sounds normal to me - these things happen. As you get older with more responsibility, you have to try harder to cover all your bases. When we have conference calls at work - I ALWAYS write down everyone's name.

This. More data/responsibility gets thrown at you the older you get, so it may not be a memory issue and as tedtan stated above it could be a focus issue.

Like I'll remember an attractive girl's name because I'm focusing on what she's saying but if I meet some guy that's a friend of an acquaintance I'll be focusing slightly less :lol:

There are ways and habits to improve this, take notes, write to do lists etc. One thing I made a habit of mine is to always stick the keys in the deadbolt before I leave my apartment. This prevents me from ever closing the door and locking myself out with the keys still inside because they'll already be waiting in the lock. This is now a subconscious habit of mine, and I could find many examples of small things like this that allow me to focus on remembering more important things.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Lack of focus could be part of the problem but I have problems with remembering peoples' names and I have really good focus. It sucks too because I always forget attractive girls' names lol. I can use my migraines as an excuse though since they do hurt my memory and so does the medicine I take for them but only a bit. =P

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ when you meet someone, say their name when you talk to them a few times at first - it will help you remember and it shows respect.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
My problem is....i dont actually care what people names are. I like to call it not giving a shit :lol:

Jokes aside you need to focus on key things that you are doing at one time and focus on focusing on them :lol:

My best friend had an aneurysm/stroke when hes was 15. You wanna talk about forgetting things...i could tell him something everyday for a week and the day we are supposed to do it he will forget....but he dosnt forget songs we write.

I think as you get older it will get better

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
I'll keep all of what has been mentioned in mind!
Thankyou all so much,

I don't do drugs, I don't drink, don't do pot, don't smoke, I bodyboard allot and get thrashed out there a bit, but that's all I could think of that could hurt anything, but it's never a collision with hard ground (thank god).

Also for those confused about the hamburger going in the microwave, I don't really understand it either!
We make it, everything that needs to be cooked is cooked beforehand, then we just chuck it in the microwave for 7-10 seconds to make it all warm I suppose. I have no idea.

But everything you guys have said has definitely re-assured be allot, thankyou!

Jackson12s

Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
I forget peoples names, forget to send important letters, forget families birthdays, forget to brush teeth sometimes... etc.

It's just as you get older you have a lot more to worry about and are a lot more independent so it's all down to you...

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Could be stress, man. Give it a few months and settle into the new job. When you are moving quick at work it isn't unusual to automatically just do things and as far as names go just remember who's the managers and once you get to know people it'll get easier. Just don't freak it's just something new so you aee finding out how you react to these kinds of pressures... food for thought anyhow. Its never good to assume you have some sort of neurological condition! Good luck with all that, though!

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Latest posts