Worst guitar brand names

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I had this idea for a thread after stumbling across this Reverb listing for a guitar made by Roidz.

1710568606220.png

What are some other terrible names for guitar brands?

*Krappy Guitars doesn't count. They know what they are, and living their truth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, I would say YAMAHA. Not because is bad or stupid, but because I think that in a long term really affected bad the guitars. Yamaha are the biggest musical instrument manufacturer in the world by far. Any instrument,you name it (guitar, saxophone, flute, drums, any).,they make it and make it well. But people don't care. They think:"If I wanna bike, I will buy Yamaha, if I wanna guitar, I will buy real brand, duh". If they did like Hoshino Gakki and Ibanez, to pick a neutral, musically sounding name, I think that they would be in a different spot now.
Also Kiesel in my native language means "sour". It's also used to describe ppl with unpleasant character,like Jeff Kiesel...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I would say YAMAHA. Not because is bad or stupid, but because I think that in a long term really affected bad the guitars. Yamaha are the biggest musical instrument manufacturer in the world by far. Any instrument,you name it (guitar, saxophone, flute, drums, any).,they make it and make it well. But people don't care. They think:"If I wanna bike, I will buy Yamaha, if I wanna guitar, I will buy real brand, duh". If they did like Hoshino Gakki and Ibanez, to pick a neutral, musically sounding name, I think that they would be in a different spot now.
Also Kiesel in my native language means "sour". It's also used to describe ppl with unpleasant character,like Jeff Kiesel...

I think that's only in the metal guitar world. In jazz, classical, band, etc. they're very highly regarded and have been for a long time.

The solid body electric guitar business sort of fell off 10 or 15 years ago, but they're slowly building it back.

I remember in the 90's and even into the early 00's just about every major touring jazz/fusion outfit was like all Yamaha, especially drums and bass. But that's also probably because Dave Weckl and John Pattitucci were in just about every major jazz and fusion act then. :lol:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I think that's only in the metal guitar world. In jazz, classical, band, etc. they're very highly regarded and have been for a long time.

The solid body electric guitar business sort of fell off 10 or 15 years ago, but they're slowly building it back.

I remember in the 90's and even into the early 00's just about every major touring jazz/fusion outfit was like all Yamaha, especially drums and bass. But that's also probably because Dave Weckl and John Pattitucci were in just about every major jazz and fusion act then. :lol:
Still boggles my mind that they abandoned the original Pacifica designs. Those were pretty damn nice. I do like some of the more recent stuff they're attempting to do, but I think they overpriced a few things relative to where they are perceived in the market as of late.

And as far as names go, for some reason, Hohner always sounded like the most jobber level guitar name I've ever heard.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
E-II as well, if we're being honest.

Seagull isn't great. While I imagine most people thinking positive thoughts about seaside vacations and being near the ocean, etc....but they are the pigeons of the coast, which are already rats of the sky. When I think 'seagulls' I think "protect your food", "I'm going to need a car wash", and "SHUT UP ALREADY!"

Recording King is just...kinda lame.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Mayones. No question

I will never not read that as
is-mayonnaise-an-instrument.jpg

Demiurge

Reaction score
I know that $100 Amazon guitars are too easy, but GROTE is such an ugly name. (It's also sounds the same as the fake disease on Curb Your Enthusiasm.) How hard is it find one person out there for cheap to tell them whether a name will read as good/bad/nonsense to a Western market?