Would an 8 string add a large amount of difficulty to a first build?

se7en_immortal

Mick The Freak
Reaction score
Just wondering about this because the first one I build will be mine, and I'm wanting an 8 string to kind of go along with my 7. Thanx for any info in advance :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I personnally don't think so. My 1st build was actually an 8 str, and it turns out not that bad. At least not worst than would have been a 6 or 7. :D
The only real difference is that it's less common, so finding hardware was a bit difficult for me by the time (now pretty easy), a bit more expensive, a bit less knowledge base around the internet. But now, seeing how many 8 strings project there're only on sso, you will find plenty of information for everything.
So, to sum up that huge useless post and to answer your question: no.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
The amount of strings won't really complicate things any more than a 6 or 7 string build would, aside from the possibility of having trouble finding a wide enough fingerboard blank to buy if you go for something fancy.

se7en_immortal

Mick The Freak
Reaction score
yeah. probably won't do anything fancy at all for my first one. just the basics so I can get the basics down...y'know. Thank you guys for the input :)

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
My first build was an 8 string. I say have at 'er.

You're just dealing with measurements. All the parts are basically the same (just more saddles, bigger pickups etc...).

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Lumber will cost a bit more, hardware will cost more, you'll need a pretty reliable neckwood (nothing super strong, just something you'd be comfortable in the stability of).

Otherwise, I'd say have at it if it's what you want to make. It's not really more complicated than a six, just a different design.

Make sure to have a suitable scale length, though, if it's in F# or lower! There's not much worse than a low string that flubs.