Wound vs Plain G-string

• Thread starter -TesseracT-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheFranMan

Reaction score
I used a wound G before in standard tuning and absolutely hated it. Of course, everything comes down to personal preference. So buy both and try them out.

zombieritual

Reaction score
i've found i really liked it better for rhythm stuff and arpeggiated chords and whatnot, but didn't like it at all when it came time to solo. like to the point where when i was recording i would track the rhythms with the wound and then replace it for leads, which obviously won't work live very well

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i've found i really liked it better for rhythm stuff and arpeggiated chords and whatnot, but didn't like it at all when it came time to solo. like to the point where when i was recording i would track the rhythms with the wound and then replace it for leads, which obviously won't work live very well
Why not just get a guitar w/ a 19 inch scale length so that your wound g string can be just as flexible as a plain g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickK-UK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With stainless steel frets the smaller the wind the more easily it appears to get damaged by the fret leading to shiny spots on the string. No idea what that does to the string sound.

7 string with 62-10 Paradigm Ernie Ball set on at the moment - solid G. I normally play rhythm but still prefer a solid string.
6 string with 8 gauge and have always played solid G string.

The wound G string increases the mass of the string so you'll most likely need to intonate, string snaps and my replacement sets all have solid strings.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fuck a wound G string. Unless it's on an acoustic. Then I don't give a shit because I play any old 40$ garbage ass acoustic because they all play like shit anyway and you only use an acoustic for a 20 second intro anyway.
Literally..
Like, where do I plug my god damn Metal Zone? Acoustic aint got no jack - it's garbage.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I use them on 12's for my 27" scale guitars. For standard tuning I would use plain.

jvms

Reaction score
I experimented with them for a while and can safely say they sound way more in tune than plain Gs, specially when playing chords close to the nut. If I was tracking a song with a lot of campfire chords, I wouldn't think twice before using a wound G. Only problem is they are very difficult to bend, wich might suck if you play lots of leads.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I experimented using a wound G when I was tuning to C# standard on Gibson scale length guitars. It technically was better at staying in tune, though it was much more difficult to bend and I missed the brighter character of the plain G, so I went back to the plain kind. I tune no lower than D standard now so the G string generally behaves (heh). For low tunings like C standard on down, it could be more beneficial to have the wound G unless you're playing on a baritone scale guitar.

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I experimented using a wound G when I was tuning to C# standard on Gibson scale length guitars. It technically was better at staying in tune, though it was much more difficult to bend and I missed the brighter character of the plain G, so I went back to the plain kind. I tune no lower than D standard now so the G string generally behaves (heh). For low tunings like C standard on down, it could be more beneficial to have the wound G unless you're playing on a baritone scale guitar.
Actually I have a Wound G that I can bend because it's made by Hohner in Germany & its made out of a Special Alloy that's the same material they use to make Accordion Reeds.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Excuse me an Electric Pickup
seems like overkill, but yeah you could totally drive it to the landfill in one of those
cars-rivian-rivian.jpg

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why not just put an Electric Guitar string set w/ a Wound G on a Guitar that has a 19 inch Scale Length like this guy?
I'd say 25.5 inches is way too long for the Wound G String, a Wound G string works better on a Shorter Scale Length.
1709172503399.jpeg

Latest posts