X2N or DSonic + Air Norton?

• Thread starter InTheRavensName
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Will this give me a decent Symphony X/Sonata Arctica ish guitar sound in a mahogany sixer? I need a pretty tight, articulate rhythm tone and a fluid, warm lead sound. Playing through a Line 6 HD147, which I will obviously tweak a bit once I upgrade my pickups, but are the named options a step in the right direction? And which one better fulfills what I'm after, DS or X2N?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
they're sixers, and I never got on well with evo's in my ESP...although that was through a Laney...

...I may try them if the opportunity arises

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
they're sixers, and I never got on well with evo's in my ESP...although that was through a Laney...

...I may try them if the opportunity arises

No... never...

Stay away from 6 string Evos....

I'd recommend the X2N, it's what the guitarist in Symphony X uses... And sounds mean as fuck + really thick!

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
in mahogany, the evo is ok. if its too bright, try the evo 2. much warmer

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Jani from Sonata uses the old Petrucci custom (pre D-sonic) bridge pickup in his guitar, and I'm pretty sure you can order them from DiMarzio with no problem.

Either of your other choices would work really well though.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
nah those are the ones you cant order. you can order DiMeola's and other sig pickups, but for some unknown reason, you cant order the petrucci ones

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Wicked, thanks for the advice guys!

oh, as an afterthought...

what would be a decent middle singlecoil to match this set? My ESP is a HSH config. and I want to stick the same set in that, but I fancy a chimey, fenderish sound from the singlecoil? Any ideas?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Velvet neck, or Red Velvet possibly.

If you want the single to be hum cancelling, the Area 58 or the Virtual Vintage 54 Pro have a real Strat-like sound. So too the YJM pickup (and it's hum cancelling).

We need some hum cancelling 7-string singles.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
thanks guys,

by the way, how would diactivators stack up against these...I have an 81-7/707 set in the 7 and would like to avoid too much of a tonal change between that and my sixers, but I don't fancy actives for them.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually haven't played the X2N, so I can't really comment on that one. The D-Activators are odd...

Tonally, they are more like a passive... sorta. Very balanced, but with a mid range 'oomph' like a distortion pickup. but in terms of "feel" and response, much, much more like an EMG. (Whereas, to contrast, the D Sonic sounds more like an EMG, but "feels" like a traditional passive.)

You could always shoot Dimarzio an e-mail. Ask for Steve Blucher's opinion, as he's the main pickup guy (and super cool, too).

Latest posts