Yamaha THR10X - Any good?

• Thread starter WaffleTheEpic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing by the resounding chorus that everyone loves these? :lol:

No one's even remotely interested in a direct-to-usb amp that can be used as a head as well?

Zado

Reaction score
a friend of mine got one,and now he plays it more than his mesa stiletto :lol:

wakjob

Reaction score
Play mine 10 times more often than my Friedman. It's just too convenient & killer sounding.

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
I'm tempted to get one to play with. I wanted something along the lines of an Orange Dark Terror, a small amp I could use as a head for practice and stuff. I figure this fits the bill.

Do you guys that have them know if they have an FX loop or is it just the one input?

wakjob

Reaction score
No FX Loop.
Effects are built in and adjustable through your computer via The Editor.
USB out for direct recording too.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
I've never gotten to play around with one, but from what I've seen they're pretty killer. I'm also tempted to snag one, one of these days...

Kraiga G

Flailing Fists
Reaction score
Ive got a THR10X that I am very happy with. I play deathgrind in Drop F tuning and I primarily use the Power channels that were modeled after the ENGL Powerball. These channels nail the Powerball tone! An ENGL Powerball head alone is $2499 so it truely is unbelievable how well this little amp matches the tones. The best thing about this little guy is the modeling effects available with the free downloadable software. You literally just click to download the software and then you have one of the easiest to use modeling programs at your finger tips. With the software you can adjust each of your effects to your liking much like you would when using pedals.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
I have the THR10X and an EVH5150. I can vouch that the THR10X simulates the EVH pretty damn well. Love the Yamaha, does a good job. I use it for my PC speakers as well. For the price, it's quite the versatile piece of kit.

fogcutter

Reaction score
You will not be disappointed. Mine is awesome, I plug into it every single day. I think it's the best "at home" amp I've ever owned.

big_aug

Reaction score
I wonder if my local shop would trade me a THR10X straight up for my 6505+ 1x12. I'm so sick of this damn amp for home use and its too big to ship it l.

Sparkfriction

Reaction score
they are really good so far. People complaint about hum which seems to come from the wallwart. i tested the standard THR10 and was very impressed by the overall sound. As a a home/practice amp it is really cool...

SloeGin

Reaction score
Has anyone got info what real amps the channels on the THR10X are based on?

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Has anyone got info what real amps the channels on the THR10X are based on?

On the website, the only descriptions they make are: tube types, "European" which usually means Marshall, "American"/"US" which is a generic term for Mesa-Boogie and I would hazard a guess that the "Southern HI" might be Peavey.

Even with all that, I think they're still being used just to give an idea of what kind of tone to expect, not that they're trying to reproduce the tone of a specific brand of amp.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody pointed out the ridiculous necrobump :lol:

But I would hazard a guess and say that the 5 gain channels are based off the lead Channels of the Powerball and 5150 I and II, and then the Southern Hi channel is a Pantera-type thing.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody pointed out the ridiculous necrobump :lol:

But I would hazard a guess and say that the 5 gain channels are based off the lead Channels of the Powerball and 5150 I and II, and then the Southern Hi channel is a Pantera-type thing.

Rhythm and Lead Channels of Powerball and EVH 5150 III (I have both the EVH and the THR and they are spot on). Can't remember what the 5th channel is, but it is a Dime/Pantera/Randall style hi-gain SS thing like Zeno says.