Yet again another noob question. Pickup suggestion/opinion

Edika

Reaction score
Hi all again, I know pickup suggestions are a dime a dozen but I have a more targeted approach at this point. I think that is!

I was trying to beef up the sound in my Carvin DC400. Really bright guitar and has the active circuit with all the electronics inside and so forth. I liked the Carvin set that was in there but was itching to try something different. I tried a few different sets but I was getting a twang and some annoying frequencies on the bridge pickup.

I got a Dimarzio D-Sonic for it and that did the trick in giving me a brutal sound and taming those annoying frequencies. Now comes the question of the neck pickup. The one I have in I like a lot but it is part of a set which I want to try in another guitar. So I was wondering what Dimarzio neck pickup I can pair the D-Sonic with. One suggestion I see is the Paf Pro but it doesn't seem to be in stock as much. Plus in the UK with shipping it ends up almost at £80-85 which I really don't want to spend that much for it lol.

In Thomann prices are more reasonable and I was planning to get a few more things that qualify for free shipping from them. The Paf Pro is out of stock and available in Creme only. The other options I have found are the FRED, the Titan neck and the Evolution neck. I feel the Evolution neck might be a bit too hot but your opinion may vary. I had it in a guitar but I don't remember much of it. It seems the FRED is a bt finicky in which guitar it's in and seems like a peculiar pickup.

What I'm looking for in a neck pickup? Hard to tell! I mean I love it being relatively powerful and clear but not sounding like a bridge pickup. I had loved the Dimarzio Air Norton in 7 string form but found the 6 string a bit too bassy.Most of my guitars have had uncoventional sets so not sure what would be ideal. I'm kind of looking for the balance between sweet sounding but not being too vintagey, have enough power so I don't need to crank the gain too much but not being overbearing and giving me a good clean sound.

So what do you guys think? What would be the "better" option between the Titan, FRED or Evolution? Or should I just wait for the Paf Pro to be back in stock? If you have any other Dimarzio suggestions feel free to recommend them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I have a Tone Zone / Evolution Neck in my Charvel. I like the Evolution Neck. It is on the brighter side of Dimarzio. (I tend to think their neck pickups fall into the dark or bright category, with the Air Norton being in the dark, and the Evo Neck being in the bright). It is actually supposed to be based on the Paf Pro, so if you listen to clips of both, they are pretty similar. I have always been curious about the Paf Pro, but haven't bothered since the Evo Neck sounds so similar in clips. I have also always wanted to try the D Sonic, lol. You could also look at the Liquifire. I have the 7 string version, and it is kind of like a brighter, clearer Air Norton.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
When you tried that Air Norton 6 was that in a 22 or 24-fret guitar? Asking because I really hated the Air Norton when I had it in a 22 fretter, precisely because I found it too bassy, but quite like it otherwise.

You may consider the Duncan Distortion, the Gibson 490R and the Loomis Blackout. The first two are suprisingly articulate in 22 fretters. The last one can bring some thickness and 'life' to a dull or feebly sounding 24 fretter and it's more versatile than one would think, but yeah it's active.

Edika

Reaction score
The Air Norton was in an Ibanez RG 24fret guitar but with a Mahogany body. Not that I hate it, I just thought the 7 string was more articulate, less bassy.

For some strange OCD reason I want matched companies on my sets, otherwise the current neck pickup I have is actually sweet sounding and I have another from the same company. I know I know first world problems.

Edit: I'm also considering the D-Activator neck. That was quite gnarly from what I remember but without being overpowering when playing cleans.

Edika

Reaction score
I was thinking about the Liquifire too. I'm not sure if it's in stock but I'll check.

EDIT: Out of stock of course, back in 3-5 weeks and only the white one is in stock. Shops in the UK have £20-30 more and the used market prices is the same as new prices in Thomman. So if need be I can wait lol!

Last edited:

Edika

Reaction score
I figured out why Thomman seemed cheaper, they don't put VAT on their prices anymore as the UK is out of the single market lol!

Found an Air Norton for a good price and I went with that. This is a bright guitar so it would be ok. I would have liked the Liquifire but I can't seem to find one online, even new. There was a FRED on sale too, which would have been better for my OCD (yeah stupid I know), but I preferred going with something I know sounds good.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I figured out why Thomman seemed cheaper, they don't put VAT on their prices anymore as the UK is out of the single market lol!

IIRC they have always listed prices without sales tax, because sales tax is different in each country in the EU.

They can't just charge the highest level either, and just keep the extra 1% because some customers need to claim back the VAT, so they need to know exactly how much tax was actually paid and to who.

TL:DR - International tax arrangements are a massive pain to everyone, and you either have to advertise at really weird prices (A mere £73.42!) Or you do sensible prices then throw the tax on at the end.

Edika

Reaction score
Well they had Thomman UK that would give the price in Pounds with tax added. Meaning you would still order from Thomman in EU and get your item fully paid, no additional taxes being paid. But with Brexit they reverted to the system you mention @LostTheTone.