Yo guys, i need advice

• Thread starter chaosmaker911
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
So i recently sold my Bernie rico jr seven string. It was a great guitar, but it didn't fit what i've been doing recently, so it was time to move on.

I'm in the market for another seven though. I'd like it to be a bit more versatile than my rico was. I always felt like the rico was really good for the heavy 7 string riffing, and not as good for everything else.

So for my new guitar, i'd love something that is a standard scale (my rico was 26 1/3"), also i would love a floating trem that is non-locking. My favorite trem i've played recently is the one on the petrucci, and also i like the vigier and parker trems.

I'm looking for something versatile, able to play the heaviest of metals, but also able to do some slightly overdriven jazzy/bluesy stuff.

My main guitar right now is an ibanez S prestige (6 string) that i love. Its extremely easy to play, which is about the most important thing to me.

So I've been looking into getting a Vigier 7 string, or maybe an Ibanez J custom, even though it has a locking trem... Also, I dont want a petrucci. Theyre great guitars, but i just don't want one.

Really the point of this post is that I'm sure there are some sevens out there that I'm not aware of, and i would love some help in my search for the perfect seven string for my playing. Budget-wise, im looking to spend up to $3000.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
You might also want to check into Rash guitars (check out any Marco Sfogli video to see them in action, from heavy to jazzy).

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
For 3 grand you should be able to get your hands on the new J-custom 8527. Check ebay for sellers in Japan. Its a very versatile guitar.

From the sounds of it though you would be better off with anther custom to your exact specs.

GXPO

Reaction score
Depends how much you want a trem.. I've suggested this to at least 1 other person in the last couple of days, but have you considered getting a Carvin (DC727/747) build? With the coil taps on hand and your choice of any production pickup combination in world, you would be hard pushed to go wrong. You could use the remaining cash to put a new wing on your house :lol:

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
So i've actually been leaning towards a high end ibanez lately, since i love my other ibanez S. Maybe the new Jcustom, or some LACS if theres anything i could be lucky enough to get my hands on. Anyone know of anything LACS that someone has been trying to sell? like some kind of 7 string S with 24 frets would be a dream come true...

I actually really like the trem on My Ibanez S5470, which is a ZR. I don't really have much experience with the Edge zero trem. Is it more similar to a floyd (which i really don't like,) or the ZR? I hate how on the floyd my guitar goes out of tune when i rest my palm on the trem. This doesn't happen with my ZR trem. Will it with the edge zero?

EDIT: also, anyone know where i could get one of the new J customs?

Reaction score

turbo

Reaction score
A k7 with A pup change sounds in order.

butter smooth to play too

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You could get a really nice early 90's UV for that which sounds like it'd suit you.

Also the Vigier, Mayones, J Custom or Tom Anderson options sound good for you.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If you like the specs of the J Custom, it's hard to beat. I owned an RG8127 along side an Anderson 7 string, and the J Custom was in no way inferior. Add in that the new J Customs have fancy inlay and binding, and it seems like a bargan relative to a Suhr or Anderson.

I'd probably just get one from Meester Sparkles or whoever on eBay.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I would have guessed JP7 based on what you were looking for... you know, minus you not wanting one lol.

Mayones Setius GTM7 or Pro 7? 25.4" scale.

And someone else mentioned the new Ibanez APEX100 at 25.5".

Or there's always the Ibanez Universe... also at 25.5"

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I know there is a tom anderson 7 string out there that looks flat out incredible. I dont know if you have ever played an anderson before, but there are some of the best guitars in the world if you ask me.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
I know there is a tom anderson 7 string out there that looks flat out incredible. I dont know if you have ever played an anderson before, but there are some of the best guitars in the world if you ask me.

I actually got the chance to play a bunch of andersons a few days ago, including the 7 string. Definitely a nice guitar, but i wasn't blown away. They don't come with 24 frets though, so i don't think it would really be an option, since i really like 24 frets.

I also got to play some suhrs, and really like the modern, but i didn't get to play a 7 string... If its as good as the 6 string though, im sure its a great guitar.

Latest posts