You ever have this problem?

• Thread starter Vstro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vstro

Reaction score
I have a certain person in my band that just doesn't care about his gear. Normally i wouldn't care but his equipment is constantly breaking on stage and making everyone look like a bunch of jackasses. If i try to say the slightest thing to said person though he responds by yelling and throwing things like a child. I've dealt with if for quite some time but I've about had enough. What's your take on the situation???:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Ditch him - if he's immature and doesn't keep his gear in good working order I don't know why you'd even consider putting up with him unless he happens to be the best musician you've ever come across!

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Ditch him - if he's immature and doesn't keep his gear in good working order I don't know why you'd even consider putting up with him unless he happens to be the best musician you've ever come across!

And even then it's probably not worth putting up with someone who's that much of a dick...

Words need to be had. Or the boot.

Beaster66

Reaction score
That kind of imature, unproffesional attitude is going to hurt the rest of your band. That needs to delt with quickly and decisively by therest of the band.

Ckackley

Reaction score
I treat my gear just like I treat the tools that I use everyday on the job site. ( I'm a contractor) A tool is supposed to be taken care of so it can be used when needed to get the job done. I've never understood people that let their gear go to shit, or that feel they can slide by with sub standard gear. I wouldn't trust my life to a second rate crap safety harness, and I wouldn't trust my music to second rate crap gear.

Vstro

Reaction score
Yeah well his gear isn't bad at all, its just the condition its in. I don't really see kicking him out as the first or best choice. I just need to find a way to make him give a shit about his gear more.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
if you have to make a thread about it you should probably get rid of them.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
If that's the only problem you have with the guy, and it's not so much the quality but the condition of the gear, maybe you could help him out and give his gear a bit of a tune-up with him? I'm sure he'd be stoked to have it running well and maybe he just doesn't take care of it because he doesn't really know how.

Can you explain what exactly is wrong with his shit?

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
there's one of those type of guys in every band :lol:

I would say: don't get rid of him.

my bass player is like that, but he's 110% indisposable and we've been best mates for ages.

just explain to him calmly that he needs to give a shit more about being pro if he wants to make it as a pro band :shrug:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
the gear issue isnt really a concern, its what you said by whenever anyone argues with him, he throws a hissy fit and starts throwing things and yelling?? seriously?? I would ditch him on the spot if I were you.

Just imagine down the road, ANYTHING that doesnt go his way, hes gonna do the same thing. Screw that.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had to deal with your issue in a band I was in years ago. The other guitarist never bothered to change his strings before we did a show, and as a result, most of the time he'd break a string during a set we were playing!! :mad: I told him umpteen times to change his strings before we did a gig, and he never did! What a pain. It used to really screw up our sets, since we were a two guitar band, and many of our sings had different, rhythmn parts, that complemented each other. Lose one guitar part, and the song just didn't sound right. Unlike me, Guitarist #2 didn't have a backup guitar. And, and wouldn't use my backup!! :mad: So he'd try to keep on playing with a broken string. But, sometimes it just didn't work, and he'd have to stop in the middle of the set, and put a new string on!! If the song had a relatively straightforward rhythmn part, it was no big deal. But if it didn't (in other words both guitars played complimenting rhythmn parts), I'd have to come up with a substitute rhythmn guitar part on the fly to at least get up through the song until the big doofus got the new string on his guitar!

It would drive our drummer crazy when guitar player #2 broke strings on stage. But he was a good singer, and we were all friends. So, other than me telling him to PLEASE change his strings before we did a show, we never threatened to give him the boot. The guy ended up quitting the band a few months after he started exhibiting the above behavior (said he wasn't into being in the band anymore).