You guys watching Breaking Bad?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There are also tons of gratuitous scenes of jesse sitting around in a haze in multiple seasons, and skylar doing the same in season 5. It felt like padding. We got it, they were depressed or suffering from PTSD, they could have cut out a good 15 minutes worth of those scenes and the show would have been better for it. But, it wouldn't have filled up its timeslot.

Yeah, I gotta disagree that those scenes were put there to fill up the time slot. You make it sound like they were trying to fill the time slot, whereas in reality this show (as is the case for most) is brought down to the length needed to fill the time slot by cutting scenes, not stretching or adding. Did you watch this week to week, season to season, or did you watch it on DVD? I watched it as the episodes came out, and never had to play any catch up, so it may be that these things were done for the purpose of continuity, and you didn't require the continuity by virtue of seeing episodes with less than a week or months in between them. Kind of like on some shows how they'll show part of the same scene again just to catch the viewers up.

But really, it's a tough criticism to levy. For every show that one says dwells too much on a particular element there is another where people say it makes too many assumptions about us keeping up, and we get lost. You probably would like Memento. I personally loved that movie. But it's not the kind of thing you can hang out and watch with friends talking, etc. If you aren't paying close attention you miss a lot of stuff that keeps you following along. But that's why I loved it.

wankerness

Reaction score
I watched it as it aired from season 2 onward. Those scenes felt a lot WORSE if you watched it weekly since it was like "wow, this week all I got was a bunch of montages of jesse at parties looking unhappy!" When I burned through the season again later it wasn't quite as bad cause there weren't ad breaks and it was faster to get to stuff happening.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dammit, I just came here to post that!

"I'm the one who's knocking." :rofl:

wankerness

Reaction score
That sure got blocked fast! Based on the preview, was that just a literal version of what everyone was joking about for the last year? (Walt goes into witness protection and becomes Hal)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
It was more of a "It was all a dream" situation, or maybe witness protection and he just forgot since they hint to his hat being there next to the bed haha. Really funny though :lol:

Also, I've been talking with my friend Adam about the show since he's just given it watch. I noticed something I didn't before, Ted is almost like a parallel to Walter different in many ways. But the whole "I'm doing this for the sake of my family/workers/kids/etc" and I believe that contributes to Skyler's more indifferent state. She realizes more or less that she can't really be with either Ted or Walt because they both excuse their deeds for a noble cause. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.

And also, I realized rewatching the series that I would have loved to see Gus as the primary Antagonist. Uncle Jack and Todd seem like afterthoughts when you compare how much more fleshed out and attached we got to Gus. He was a much more interesting and developed character to me.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
It was more of a "It was all a dream" situation, or maybe witness protection and he just forgot since they hint to his hat being there next to the bed haha. Really funny though :lol:

Also, I've been talking with my friend Adam about the show since he's just given it watch. I noticed something I didn't before, Ted is almost like a parallel to Walter different in many ways. But the whole "I'm doing this for the sake of my family/workers/kids/etc" and I believe that contributes to Skyler's more indifferent state. She realizes more or less that she can't really be with either Ted or Walt because they both excuse their deeds for a noble cause. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.

And also, I realized rewatching the series that I would have loved to see Gus as the primary Antagonist. Uncle Jack and Todd seem like afterthoughts when you compare how much more fleshed out and attached we got to Gus. He was a much more interesting and developed character to me.

No doubt that Season 4 was the high point of the action and intensity. Season 5 was like the epilogue, and very good it was too.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Heh, the new one got taken down too. The best analogue, for anyone that hasn't seen it, is the ending of "Newhart" where they made the whole series a dream for the main character in "The Bob Newhart Show."

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Anyone else love that Steven Bauer (Manny from Scarface) was the Don of the Cartel? And that Mark Margolis (Sosa's henchman in Scarface) plays Hector?

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
One thing: why was Jack going to kill Walt in the final episode? I don't remember him warning Walt about returning in Ozymandias, they just shake hands. What am I missing?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing: why was Jack going to kill Walt in the final episode? I don't remember him warning Walt about returning in Ozymandias, they just shake hands. What am I missing?

Lydia told them to. She felt he was an unnecessary complication at that point, and reasoned that she'd be doing him a favor, being as he was going to die soon from the cancer anyway (that, in addition to simply being crazy paranoid to begin with). At the end of the episode, she was trying to call Todd to ask him if they'd succeeded in killing Walter, then was surprised when Walter picked up the phone and told her how he turned the tables on her.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
So I finished the show last week. I started it about a week after it ended.

Honestly, I hated this goddamn show. Not because it's bad, but because it's so damn good and so stirring that it just made me feel like ripping my own heart out at times. I've seen quite a lot of things that are so bad that they're good, but this is the first instance where I find something that is so good that it makes a full circle and goes all bad (pun intended). It felt so real that I had to stop watching for a couple of weeks at the beginning of season 5.

I guess my only complaint (if you could even call it that) was the sheer intensity of it. Normally that's something I really like, and I can truly appreciate how strong of a script and actors are needed to pull that off, but this show goes overboard with it, and I don't feel it provides enough comic relief to offset it. That's what made it so difficult for me to sit through. I'm not sure that's even a bad thing, either, because that's a huge part of what I look for in these things, and more comic relief would have made this show extremely different, to the point that I probably wouldn't have cared for it as much.

And sure, it had its fair share of mistakes, and things to nitpick... but who cares, really? (Rhetorical question. Not looking for an answer. I already know)

I don't think I could sit through this show again, to be honest. Too painful. Perhaps in the distant future when I've forgotten all about it I'll watch it again.

Really, however, even though I was on the brink of depression because of its gloominess and overall atmosphere of shittiness, I loved, and enjoyed, and cherished every second of it.

Overall, 10/10 would fvck.

Favorite line:
Mike: "Shut the fuck up... let me die in peace."

EDIT: excuse my writing... my mind goes all over the place whenever it tries to figure out this show, and it's hard to put it back together.

wankerness

Reaction score
I wasn't really emotionally upset by anything after season 3, since both Walt and Skylar just become such complete dicks that I didn't care when they got into trouble. Walt's last scene where he elicited any sympathy from me was the scene where he let Jane die, after that he never seemed to feel bad about anything again except in terms of how it negatively affected him. I think Jesse and Todd's last visit to his girlfriend's house in the last season might have been the first time I came back to being really upset since season 3.

The single hardest moment for me to watch in the entire series is easily when Walt tries to make out with the principal. Number two is when he speaks about the plane crash at the school assembly in the first episode of season 3. This show does cringe humor way more nastily than any of the so-called cringe comedies ("Curb Your Enthusiasm," "The Office," even the mighty "Peep Show.") A distant #3 is the pathetic scene in season 4 where Walt Jr is trying to be emotionally supportive with Walt when Walt's having a breakdown after the epic Jesse fight. I'm not exactly sure why it's so hard to watch, but it is! I also get really agitated and angry whenever Walt goes off on long rambling lies to his family starting in about season 3.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I'm late to the party on BB, just having started the final season. So far, the most impressionable moment from the end of season 4:

BOOOOOOOM!
What- there's not way he could have-
AAAAAAAAH! Oh my fuuuuuuck!

Latest posts