You know what's really really frustrating?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Attempting to play Bach's keyboard music on classical guitar. You have to transpose the bass parts up or down an octave a lot of the time, which usually ruins the contrapuntal feel, and on top of that I keep running out of notes within a practical finger-span.

The wierd part is, I can see exactly how a lot of this stuff would be more manageable if my guitar had a high A string on top...:idea: I need an 8 string, like Paul Gailbraith plays...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Attempting to play Bach's keyboard music on classical guitar. You have to transpose

You wanna know what's really really hard?

Transposing music.

**Reading music.

---

Yeah, I think an 8 string is the best for the classical range. Plus I always had this crazy idea that if you turn up your distortion really high, then plug a piano or something filter on it, you could two-hand tap (Broderick style) and get an awesome thing going.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit

D

Desecrated

Attempting to play Bach's keyboard music on classical guitar. You have to transpose

You wanna know what's really really hard?

Transposing music.

**Reading music.

---

Yeah, I think an 8 string is the best for the classical range. Plus I always had this crazy idea that if you turn up your distortion really high, then plug a piano or something filter on it, you could two-hand tap (Broderick style) and get an awesome thing going.

MySpace.com - Garry Goodman - LOS ANGELES, California - Jazz / Rock / Funk - www.myspace.com/garrygoodman

Listen to the song halaekala. There you got an good example of playing two hand taping with something in the same range as a piano.
Also take a look in the extended range forum, I think I posted some videos of guys doing exactly what your talking about.

D

Desecrated

Attempting to play Bach's keyboard music on classical guitar. You have to transpose the bass parts up or down an octave a lot of the time, which usually ruins the contrapuntal feel, and on top of that I keep running out of notes within a practical finger-span.

The wierd part is, I can see exactly how a lot of this stuff would be more manageable if my guitar had a high A string on top...:idea: I need an 8 string, like Paul Gailbraith plays...

Order a high a string and see if you like it.

I think for bach a tuning like adding a high G would almost be better, for a 7-string it would then be EADGBEG. Cause then you would have a third instead of a 4th on your highest string and that should make the counterpoint more accessible.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of Baroque pieces in general that would be a hell of a lot easier with a high A. I can't think of a time I've needed to go lower than a low A (55 Hz), but I find plenty of opprotunities to grab a higher string (A 440 Hz). This includes any newer Baroque-ish stuff originally written for keyboard.

I think a lot of classical players would agree that a high A string would be the most logical addition to the standard-tuned seven string. :agreed:

D

Desecrated

There are a lot of Baroque pieces in general that would be a hell of a lot easier with a high A. I can't think of a time I've needed to go lower than a low A (55 Hz), but I find plenty of opprotunities to grab a higher string (A 440 Hz). This includes any newer Baroque-ish stuff originally written for keyboard.

I think a lot of classical players would agree that a high A string would be the most logical addition to the standard-tuned seven string. :agreed:

I think so to :agreed: ,
But since I actually have one, I can say that tuning the last string to a third gives you better fingering when playing 4 voice counterpoint. BUT that might just be my opinion. :shrug:
I'm sure that we can find a dozen of players who already tune to high A and get great result with them. But if you browse this forum as much as I do, you know that distressed is the master of odd tuning and I just wanted to suggest a fun/easy way of doing things. :)

But the easiest thing is of course to get a high A string and then try out both thing. :idea:

Bostjan
Have you tried a high A string ? I would really appreciate your opinion of one.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmmm...the high G idea's an interesting one. Really wish I had my seven with my now just to do some experimenting...

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
The wierd part is, I can see exactly how a lot of this stuff would be more manageable if my guitar had a high A string on top...:idea: I need an 8 string, like Paul Galbraith plays...
:lol: Yep. He told me pretty much the same thing, hence, the 8-string. Although his primary motivation was to really have that range for Brahms pieces he was studying. From there, the next logical step was Bach.

Brahms guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

paul%20galbraith02L.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never messed with any of those four-part fuges, but I've had two of my electric guitars tuned with a high A. I'd love a seven string classical, and I almost bought an eight string classical, but I opted to get another electric instead.

I used to do the high G tuning on my electrics when I couldn't find strings that would tune to high A.

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
A: Have you ever heard Eliot Fisk's various transcriptions of Scarlatti harpsichord pieces? It's completely terrifying, on top of his work with Bach, Vivaldi & Paganini violin stuff. He's one of the very few people I just BUY whatever he records and it's always worthy.
Eliot Fisk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (His home site is down right now.)

B: Have you ever run across the tuning that Robert Fripp calls the "New Standard Guitar Tuning?" I'm sure he didn't invent it - it's just fifths instead of fourths - but he teaches all his Guitar Craft classes in it:

C G D A E G, low to high.

The high string should be a B to remain all perfect fifths, but you can't get a string to do that. I kept a guitar around tuned that way for a few years (56-40-26-14-10-9), but I just couldn't get to it regularly enough to do anything but screw up my regular practice. It's also called an "octo-mandolin" tuning. Someday, somewhere, some long-fingered kid is going to jump on that tuning and blow some minds.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm familiar with NST, and have experimented with it in the past. I actually found it suprisingly intuitive. It would definitely be interesting trying to adapt some classical pieces for it.

Nowadays, with Garry Goodman's strings, a guitar tuned in perfect fifths across the whole neck is a serious possibility...