Your album of 2023 (thus far)

Bram576

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Number one for me has to be Suffocation - Hymns of the Apocrypha. I really was bummed after frank hung it up, but this legitimately may be my favorite suffo release. Grows on me with every listen.

Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg For Death
Really happy fetus is starting to get the recognition they deserve.

Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific
Another solid out with rutan.

In 2024 I’m thinking vitriol will be a strong contender. Stoked they recorded with otero this time around, the few tracks put out sound amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I havent listened to a lot of 2023 releases.

Off the top of my head I would have to say Mutoid Man.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is my top 10:

Sleep Token - Take Me Back To Eden

Pupil Slicer - Blossom

Maruja - Kocknarea

Metallica - 72 Seasons

McRocklin and Hutch - Press Start

Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But A Dream...

Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit

Aesop Rock - Integrated Tech Solutions

Peter Gabriel - I/o

Codeseven - Go Let It In

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll call it for myself, mostly because I'm tired of thinking about it:

1. Humanity's Last Breath - Ashen
2. Svalbard - The Weight of the Mask
3. Thy Art is Murder - Godlike
4. To the Grave - Offcuts
5. Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
6. Entheos - Time Will Take Us All
7. END - The Sin of Human Frailty
Not that anyone cares, but I meant for my #4 to be To The Grave's _Director's Cuts_ (though the EP is also awesome). @crushingpetal regrets the error.

Musiscience

Reaction score
There’s been so many great releases in metal this year. But for me, Black Classical Music by Yussef Dayes takes no 1 for 2023. Breathtaking drumming performance and just a phenomenal record.

Here’s a recent live performance. Can’t get over their rendition of Portrait of Tracy.

Last edited:

zappatton2

Reaction score
If I might add to my earlier selections, I'll also throw the latest Green Lung album "This Heathen Land" on my list.

I always liked Green Lung, in the way that I like most stoner/doom metal; it's got some great tones and cool vibes, but I really have to be in the mood for it.

This album transcends that, it's probably the only album from that sub-genre that I'm inclined to listen to on repeat.

electriceye

Reaction score
I'm pissed off that most people haven't even heard of Elegant Weapons (Richie Faulkner, Scott Travis from Judas Priest). It is, HANDS FUCKING DOWN, the best album of '23. Followed by Overkill and Metallica. Faulkner ascends to an entirely new level with his playing and songwriting here. If I had a million dollars to blow, I'd spend it on their CDs and hand them out.

(If you want your mind blown, go to the last track on the album and go to about 2:10 in to hear one of the most INSANE riffs you'll ever hear.)

Biggest disappointment of '23: Extreme. Remove the insane single with Nuno's mind-blowing solo and you have a shit album with several throwaway tracks.

electriceye

Reaction score
I'm pissed off that most people haven't even heard of Elegant Weapons (Richie Faulkner, Scott Travis from Judas Priest). It is, HANDS FUCKING DOWN, the best album of '23. Followed by Overkill and Metallica. Faulkner ascends to an entirely new level with his playing and songwriting here. If I had a million dollars to blow, I'd spend it on their CDs and hand them out.

(If you want your mind blown, go to the last track on the album and go to about 2:10 in to hear one of the most INSANE riffs you'll ever hear.)

Biggest disappointment of '23: Extreme. Remove the insane single with Nuno's mind-blowing solo and you have a shit album with several throwaway tracks.

Sorry, 1:20 mark, not 2:10.

Alex79

Reaction score
I found 2023 very disappointing for metal music. Lots of extreme stuff, none of which appeals to me.

My favorite album of the year is a re-recording: Paradise Lost's Icon 30! I don't care. It is still awesome!

Xetplion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Esoctrilihum - Astraal Constellations of the Majickal Zodiac was a life changing album for me. The whole thing is just from an other dimension.
Tȃiɱonh Ѳx was the track that really got me hooked the first time. By the end it is just like what the fuck is this?

All by one guy too that has no interviews, live performances or many pictures of himself online

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

That's really good, I can get people having trouble with the singer singing in english with a strong japanese accent, but I'm used to it.
The closing song is insane.

It's power metal* in the style of Helloween and Rhapsody, before you head in.
And the bass player is a babe.

*I'm 50. Sue me.