Your favorite game music covers ?!

Reaction score
Hey !
Just wondering what is Your favorite game music cover ? Some of them on YT are pretty amazing ! Looking for some inspiration :)
I'm sharing my own cover but it is far from my favorite :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
ToxicxEternity has by far the best covers I've seen. I do covers, but they are all lame compared to his lol

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm sharing my own cover but it is far from my favorite
I actually tend not to like classic game covers very much - in theory they should be right up my alley, I like covers, I like old games, I like game music, this is all those mashed together right? So many covers either completely miss the vibe of the original, or cram the un-alterred melody on top of a generic framework that doesn't mesh all at, etc.

That being said - I like what you did here. You understood the vibe, even if you took it to a different place, you maintained a sense a rhythm that still makes sense, you maintained a sense of harmony instead of just jamming notes on top of each other and introducing dissonance where it didn't belong, etc. I think you did a much better job than that August Burns Red video that was in a bunch of articles a while back, which is what immediately came to mind when I saw "game music covers" for some reason.

For reference, this one:

^ I really don't like this cover. It just takes the melody, uses it the wrong way, and blasts through the whole thing. The vibe is gone. The main melody line has a bunch of dissonance where it doesn't belong (and not in a good or intentional way). The lead line at 27 seconds in makes my brain scream NO THATS NOT HOW ANYTHING WORKS.

Anyway, all that to say, you've done a better job than that.

I'm open to more examples of game covers done right though. Now that I think of it -> I'd maybe put Smooth McGroove in the "covers done right" category. But then, there's not much interpretation happening there. :shrug:

Reaction score
I actually tend not to like classic game covers very much - in theory they should be right up my alley, I like covers, I like old games, I like game music, this is all those mashed together right? So many covers either completely miss the vibe of the original, or cram the un-alterred melody on top of a generic framework that doesn't mesh all at, etc.

Yeah, I wanted to keep the vibe of the original track - thank You for your opinion. For me many of the game music covers are over the top with everything :D Guys are trying to write something that will impress everybody, how good their skill is or something like that - which is not really a good thing for listener.

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
This guy really makes these songs sound like his own. I really like his The Witcher III covers, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is amazing too.

The Wild Hunt could be a decent COB song! And this is not an irony...Very northern and finnish soundin stuff! Vocals rule....

Tenaba

Reaction score

RichaadEB has a whole Touhou album, I thought it was great. In particular, I like the Necrofantasia chorus at 30:08. His style is sort of similar to FamilyJules', who he's collaborated with before, so maybe check his channel out too if you like this.

InHiding

Reaction score
The best game music I know, Sanxion was good too though (maybe better...)

Here's one more:

Last edited:

Latest posts