Your favourite guitar solos

• Thread starter zappatton2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I forgot how awesome this solo was!

I see that you also threw a Skolnick solo in there which reminds me of Testament's cover of Power Slave from the Dark Roots of the Earth album.
Here's a video of Alex tracking the solo, mistakes and all... The final product is great and a fitting tribute to Maiden.

This proves the power of subtlety. Think many original Maiden solos are "easy" to play? He didn't capture the feel or tone, regardless of mostly "correct" notes being played.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
AC/DC- Ride On
AC/DC- The Jack
Ozzy: Bark At the Moon
Dokken: Heaven Sent
ZZ Top: Gimme All Your Lovin'
Tony MacAlpine: The Taker
Vinnie Moore: In Control
Vinnie Moore: Minds Eye
Cacophony: X Ray Eyes
Alcatrazz (Yngwie): Suffer Me (Fade out Solo)
Steeler (Yngwie): Serenade
Racer X: Street Lethal
Racer X: Loud and Clear
Paul Gilbert: Metal Dog (Technical Difficulties)
Joe Stump: Weapon of Choice
Yngwie: Evil Eye
Gerry Rafferty: Baker Street
Candlemass: At the Gallows End
Candlemass: The Well of Souls

Way too many more to list but those are some that immediately spring to mind.

Ahh Candlemass! They've had several great lead guitarists over the years. I especially like the solos on Solitude and Well of Souls.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Ahh Candlemass! They've had several great lead guitarists over the years. I especially like the solos on Solitude and Well of Souls.

Yeah. Lars Johansson is my fave. His playing on Nightfall is amazing.

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
It varies, and I'm more of a riff guy, but these are some of the best:

Extol - Betrayal
Chess (the musical from 1984) - Pity the Child
The Flower Kings - Compassion
Opeth - Minnets Yta

Supernaut

Reaction score
The ending solo to Desert Rose by Eric Johnson is, in my opinion, the best solo ever recorded. There are feedback notes in that you simply won't ever be able to recreate unless you were standing in that exact moment in time and space.

For reference (solo at 3:18):

A few others I haven't seen mentioned yet in the thread:
- Voodoo Child - Hendrix
- Knocking at your back door - Deep Purple
- Time - Pink Floyd
- Couldn't stand the weather - SRV

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I was on small road trip and flipped on some slick 80s production rock that wasn't entirely pop. Namely Billy Idol's Whiplash Smile which I had never heard in its entirety until recently.
Anyway, I was going to post in another thread, Steve Stevens to me is like a Mike Campbell as the guitar chef for any given song. Just the right hit IMO. Gen X content ahead, this solo slipped in super nice. Lots of other gems thorughout the album.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I was on small road trip and flipped on some slick 80s production rock that wasn't entirely pop. Namely Billy Idol's Whiplash Smile which I had never heard in its entirety until recently.
Anyway, I was going to post in another thread, Steve Stevens to me is like a Mike Campbell as the guitar chef for any given song. Just the right hit IMO. Gen X content ahead, this solo slipped in super nice. Lots of other gems thorughout the album.

I'm convinced that Billy took the spot Sid was supposed to be in, but Sid couldn't get his shit together, was suspected of killing his girlfriend, and died of an OD.

sirbuh

Reaction score
A lot of great solos already listed.
My vote is for - Morbid Angel's 'Ancient Ones"

akinari

Reaction score
And now for some examples that are gonna make some people in this thread physically sick:

@ 1:52

@ 3 minutes
Jon is a really skilled guitarist, but when he solos in KWC, he plays stuff that makes me picture a total beginner just going for it and getting lucky. I love his approach and tone.. just fits the music so well IMO.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
In Flames - "December Flower"

This one has stood out to me ever since I was a kid in high school. Here we are now well over a decade later, and it still stands out to me. The absolutely wonderful note choice and phrasing (phrasing that you can sing back, mind you) are just so memorable for what it is. And the solo drops in a pretty sweet place in the song as far as section arrangement goes. This solo actually just popped into my head out of the blue yesterday for the first time in awhile.

ERRA - "Hybrid Earth"

This one has also always stood out to me just for killing it without being too flashy or too overly technical.

Anyway, some other favorite solos...

ERRA - "Dementia"
Crush 40 - "Open Your Heart"
In Flames - "Ordinary Story"
Ovid's Withering - "Oedipus Complex" (solo by Jakub Zytecki)
Shredding Brazzers (Shrezzers) - "Mystery"
Earthists - "Resonating Light" (solo by Ichika)
Periphery - "Mile Zero" (solo by Wes Hauch)
Periphery - "Totla Mad"
Intervals - "Impulsively Responsible"
Intervals - "I'm Awake"
Intervals - "Epiphany"
Buckethead - "Nottingham Lace"
Buckethead - "Botnus"

And pretty much anything/everything that Angel Vivaldi has done over the years. Same goes for Jakub Zytecki.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
Steve Vai's finest 2 1/2 minutes(solo starts at 5:39);

The studio version has already been listed, but this version is magnificent;
(solo starts at 3:13)

EVH channels Jeff Beck(solo starts at 2:00):

George putting the neck pickup to great use(solo starts at 5:09);

My favorite by Mr. Holdsworth(solo at 3:08), the phrasing is insane.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Haven't seen No More Tears mentioned. I always thought that solo just ripped, particularly in the context of the song.

It's one of mine

Back when I first started playing guitar, before I even knew there was a difference between the guy that played Crazy Train and the guy that played that solo, would practice that solo until I couldn't move my fingers anymore. Now I always forget how great Zakk was and how huge of an influence he was on me because, well, why do you think?

But even though I have a list a mile long, my #1 solo of all time is Mr. Crowley. It's just one of those solos I've never wanted to learn how to play because that would take a little of the magic away from it for me.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Haven't seen No More Tears mentioned. I always thought that solo just ripped, particularly in the context of the song.

Now that you mention it, I have no clue how it slipped my mind. Hell, Zakk Wylde all together had slipped my mind. The man is such an incredible player, especially before he started drenching his solos in too many effects to make them out.

SloeGin

Reaction score
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley
Ozzy Osbourne - Time After Time
Zakk Wylde - Sold My Soul
G'nr - Sweet Child O Mine
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Megadeth - Tornado Of Souls
Children Of Bodom - Sixpounder, Everytime I Die

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
In Flames - "December Flower"

This one has stood out to me ever since I was a kid in high school. Here we are now well over a decade later, and it still stands out to me. The absolutely wonderful note choice and phrasing (phrasing that you can sing back, mind you) are just so memorable for what it is. And the solo drops in a pretty sweet place in the song as far as section arrangement goes. This solo actually just popped into my head out of the blue yesterday for the first time in awhile.

ERRA - "Hybrid Earth"

This one has also always stood out to me just for killing it without being too flashy or too overly technical.

Anyway, some other favorite solos...

ERRA - "Dementia"
Crush 40 - "Open Your Heart"
In Flames - "Ordinary Story"
Ovid's Withering - "Oedipus Complex" (solo by Jakub Zytecki)
Shredding Brazzers (Shrezzers) - "Mystery"
Earthists - "Resonating Light" (solo by Ichika)
Periphery - "Mile Zero" (solo by Wes Hauch)
Periphery - "Totla Mad"
Intervals - "Impulsively Responsible"
Intervals - "I'm Awake"
Intervals - "Epiphany"
Buckethead - "Nottingham Lace"
Buckethead - "Botnus"

And pretty much anything/everything that Angel Vivaldi has done over the years. Same goes for Jakub Zytecki.

So many great (and underappreciated) moments on The Jester Race!

Latest posts