Your ideal teacher...

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you could study with any player, dead or alive, who would it be?

I'd say Shawn Lane, as the guy seemed like he'd have been a great teacher, not just of music, but about life in general. In terms of living guys I'd go for Chris Broderick, just because he seems like he'd get results quickly, and would help improve my crappy reading skills!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Jason Becker or Paul Gilbert \m/

Especially paul gilbert. he seems like he'd be a good guy to learn things from and pick his brain.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
gilbert, mattias 'ia' eklundh, ron thal

they seem to be the funnest bunch of guitar players lol

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Nathan Milstein... in the fantasy the person can't refuse to teach me, right?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My guitar teacher studied with Dave Martone.

IA would be great to study from, he seems like a real teacher-type of a guy.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Especially paul gilbert. he seems like he'd be a good guy to learn things from and pick his brain.

...especially in that, apparently, his godly alternate picking technique did NOT come naturally for him, and it was something he struggled with for years. Thus, I'm sure he could teach me a lot.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
Petrucci, though I'd hate his homework. i read somewhere that him and myung wouldn't hang out until they had practice for 6hrs that day (not sure if that's true...)

Satriani, someone here mentioned around here that all his students become famous.

Rustey Cooly (or is it Rusty Cooley? I forgot).

Or maybe Wes Montgomery if he was alive. He may not have been the best jazzman out there but he's the only jazz guy that turned me on to jazz.

Oh and Buckethead because I'm still in awe from that Buckethead video someone posted about on these boards somewhere.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, Petrucci would probably be pretty intense, but I suspect he'd get results quickly. I voted for Chris Broderick for the same reason. Main thing I'd take into account is that not all of the guys people have named would necessarily be good teachers; being able to tear up a guitar doesn't necessarily mean being able to explain how to do it. I'd be more likely to go for the guys like Gilbert, Broderick, Petrucci, Satch, Gambale or Henderson who've already proved their stuff as teachers.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well my "ideal" teacher would be: michelle rodriguez with petrucci skillz.

Now for the real teacher....probably Jeff Loomis!

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kerry King.

just kidding.

Actually...

Steve Vai
Paco de Lucia
Derek Roddy

all are intelligent enough to communicate clearly (does Paco speak english?) and all have been around on stage and in the studio, so they've seen it all, been with many other musicians who're the best in their game.

BCrowell

Cubicle Dweller
Contributor
Reaction score
strychnine said:
....mattias 'ia' eklundh, ron thal

they seem to be the funnest bunch of guitar players lol

THEY ARE! They were BOTH fantastic guys at freakfoot! I learned so much in that week I'm still tryin' to incorporate it all.:bowdown:

If I had my choice it'd be between Ron Thal & Satriani... Ron used to give lessons in NJ, but he's so busy now :wallbash: