Your new musical avenues.

• Thread starter GuitaristOfHell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Radio

Reaction score
I've been practicing piano a lot! I took piano lessons as a kid and it's been a lot of fun working back to the skills I used to have. Other than that, working on my technique on the guitar. Trying to relax, not lift my fingers so high off the fretboard, etc. Good luck to all of you on your goals as well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rikwebb

Reaction score
Seems to be a bit more of a Hardcore approach to my normal playing rather than thrashy stuff lately.

Apart from when i pickup my guitar thats in Open C then its more like Devey's stuff then.

Jahka

Reaction score
Been listening to a lot of thundercat, I've been messing with beats and guitar. If you haven't heard of him check out evangelion by him

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Dude, pedal steel is probably the hardest instrument in the world to play. I mean, you have to keep remembering what all three degrees of freedom do in all the pedals and levers and pulley systems that go on underneath the fretboard, and that's on top of the two fretboards on top...yeezh. Every time I see Calexico live, I think to myself, I want to learn pedal steel guitar, but then I put a little more thought into it and get over it.

DXL

Reaction score
Every week it changes for me. 3 weeks ago it was djent. 2 weeks ago it was ambient. Last week it was reggae. Now it's gothic metal and Opeth :lol:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Dude, pedal steel is probably the hardest instrument in the world to play. I mean, you have to keep remembering what all three degrees of freedom do in all the pedals and levers and pulley systems that go on underneath the fretboard, and that's on top of the two fretboards on top...yeezh. Every time I see Calexico live, I think to myself, I want to learn pedal steel guitar, but then I put a little more thought into it and get over it.

I'm not going to say that pedal steel is easy, because it's certainly not, but to be honest, it doesn't take that long to get one's bearings. On a standard E9 single-neck pedal steel, the pedals and levers change no more than two strings at a time, and they are typically tuned to the same note, and moving by the same interval. Once you're comfortable with that, all you have to do is learn your inversions. For example, just from "open position" (whatever your tonic is), you can play I, ii, IV, V, vi and vii* just using the pedals, or no changes at all. Really, just learning which positions will let you sound good in any given key gets you a long way towards playing pedal steel decently.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "three degrees of freedom".

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
I was in a melodic hardcore band from 2011-2014 but me and the singer recently quit due to everyone else in it kind of sucking. We still hang alot and play Dark Souls 2 religiously so we're working on doing a Dark Souls themed melodic death metal album, though he doesnt listen to any death metal aside from Dethklok and maybe Battlecross if they count. Definitely nice to get to do metal before we inevitably get back on the melodic hardcore grind

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
If you're at all interested, there are at least a couple Chinese metal bands that incorporate throat singing, and lots that use traditional instruments.