Your opinion about 4 8's

Reaction score
Hello everyone!It''s time for me to finally have an 8 string guitar and I need your help!I'm considering these 4 guitars on that picture attached.Nothing else,nothing beyond these.It should be one of these four.

Attachments

• guitars.PNG
    guitars.PNG
    374.2 KB · Views: 215

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
Yup, ESP is 25.5 which is like awful for an 8 string. Winspear is right, you would really want ideally 28 inches of scale length but 27 inches IS "acceptable" for string tension and intonation, which is the main advantage to these longer scale lengths.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Avoid the 25.5" as others have said.

If you're a shredder I'd pick the Ibanez and shell out for some locking tuners, it has a parallel 12th fret which makes soloing easier but riffing at the low end harder due to the increased fret angle; plus shorter scale at the top is ideal also if you like using super thin strings (prone to breakage) but likewise shorter scale means less tension at the bottom which isn't ideal if you pick hard.

If you're a rhythm guy/not a light tension fanatic like me I'd pick the Cort. Stock locking tuners, better stock pickups, better neck heel all more than justify the price over the Jackson

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for the Jackson, but it's a matter of personal preference.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I have not been crazy about Ibanez 8's lately.

Cort might be good, but in the past, they were a budget brand. I know their factory is potentially making all of the lower priced 8's now, but there might be a little stigma attached to the name among the uninitiated.

The ESP seems like it just doesn't have good specifications.

Best of luck!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Out of those, I'd go for the Cort. fishmans, 28 inch bass side scale, SS frets I think, damn good price, and Cort builds so many guitars that we like, you know they know how to make a guitar.

The Mirror

Reaction score
+1 on the Cort.

I owned a KX 500 Etched of the same generation as the KX508MS and it is easily the most bang-for-buck guitar I've played.

Cort's own brand is miles ahead of what they were years ago, which is most probably due to them having the experience in building for basically any and all companies these days.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally for me it would be between the Jackson and the Cort

The Jackson looks better, Cort better features. (pickups / SS freds)
26 vs 26.5 on the treble side is not that much of a difference.

Personally I have no experience with both in terms of quality.
But I guess with both it can be hit or miss

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Me personally I'd 100% say the cort. Has more features for the same amount of money. Their quality has picked up a lot in recent years and the specs are just better than the others IMO.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I've never heard of Cort, but have you looked into a Legator? Their newer production stuff is supposed to be solid nowadays. I'm considering one in pink when they're available because I'm not interested in any current production multiscale 8 strings.

Reaction score
Hey guys, after so much research,video reviews and analyzing opinions here and also from Facebook groups, I came to choose.........the JACKSON X Dinky AT DKAF8! I'm confident that I will not regret from my choice and also confident about the quality embedded in Jackson guitars. So yeah,that's it, my first 8 axe will be this one, thanks everyone!

Robslalaina

Reaction score
I might be a bit late to the party but personally the Ibanez is the only one I'd consider simply because it's got a forearm contour. That being said, the Jackson is probably the prettiest of the bunch. Only thing I'm not fond of about it is the heel and how it starts at the 17th fret. Maybe that's not an issue at all with this particular guitar but IME on 24 fret guitars this always leads to unnecessarily complicated access to the last 2-4 frets - almost like trying to fret the neck pickup on a Strat.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Good call on the Jackson. I have the SLAT-8MS, and I really enjoy it. I’m tuned to D standard with a low G and lower D, so DGDGCFAD. It handles the tuning very well. Only thing I’d recommend is some new pickups.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I've never heard of Cort, but have you looked into a Legator? Their newer production stuff is supposed to be solid nowadays. I'm considering one in pink when they're available because I'm not interested in any current production multiscale 8 strings.
Cort makes damn near all of the world’s guitars. Cort is their own brand, but most stuff is under their Cor-Tek oems. I’m exaggerating, but you’ll be shocked what all they make.

Reaction score
Well guys...not everything went well when I decided to go with Jackson...the shop which I bought hadn't the guitar available on stock. I got pretty fucking mad about that,apologies for my words...damn! They told that they will had it only at the beginning of next year. No way! I will not wait so much time to receive a product(My anxiety would killed me). So my second choice due to availability was the Ibanez. So I went with Ibanez. I hope that she will 'please' me,haha! Even the Cort I didn't find available in stock. I live in Poland and also even Thomann doesn't have it.

ockis23

Be Excellent to Each Other
Contributor
Reaction score
Well guys...not everything went well when I decided to go with Jackson...the shop which I bought hadn't the guitar available on stock. I got pretty fucking mad about that,apologies for my words...damn! They told that they will had it only at the beginning of next year. No way! I will not wait so much time to receive a product(My anxiety would killed me). So my second choice due to availability was the Ibanez. So I went with Ibanez. I hope that she will 'please' me,haha! Even the Cort I didn't find available in stock. I live in Poland and also even Thomann doesn't have it.

That's frustrating but happy to hear you found an alternative . My 2nd ever 8 string was an Ibanez and I really enjoyed it for the time I had it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Please let us know when you get it! Cheers!

Reaction score
Hey guys,it arrived today(Delivery was pretty fast,I bought it before yesterday,cheers Riff![Polish store!]). Man the guitar is awesome! Super ultra confortable like my other Ibanez RG7321.It's not the first time I'm playing an 8 string guitar so I'm already used with one more string added. The franned frets I didn't feel strange or odd at all. I knew it that I can trust Ibanez once again.

Attachments

• RGMS8.jpg
    RGMS8.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 21