Your Opinion on a 9 string Agile I might purchase please!

• Thread starter chopshop777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopshop777

Reaction score
Hi all, there's a local guy here in Vancouver,BC, selling a 9 string Agile for $650 , the scale length is 25.5 , isn't that way too short, small for specially a 9 string ? is the price OK you think ? I have never owned an Agile are they any good ? here's the link to the guitar:

AGILE 9 string guitar NEW REDUCED PRICE

Appreciate your input in advance guys. cheers. Ed

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't get anywhere near that thing. If you are not planning on tuning in 4ths, then go for it. But with a 4ths tuning you're going to end up with some fat bass strings, even if you go for a high A. If you're planning on tuning something funky, then it might work.

stuglue

Reaction score
I'd also avoid on that. With that scale length you'd have serious issues with the low F# and C# strings. I guess you could add a high A string and tune low to high
F#,B,E,A,D,G,B,E,A
But even like that the F# would still be loose.
I wouldn't have a 9 string unless it was a multi scale

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
An F# is doable at 25.5", but it won't be ideal. The string will probably have to be thick enough that inharmonicity will make it sound weird. I definitely wouldn't recommend a low C# at that scale. If you really just want to try a 9-string, though, that price isn't bad.

7stg

Reaction score
No, just no 25.5" is way to short for standard tuning and up p4/high a is really not right either, they have a 92427 for that. Try for a 30" scale which is ideal, a 28.625" scale is pushing it for a 9 string but would work. Multiscale is worth a look too, they have 92730 or I think now they are 92830. Basically go for as long a scale as is comfortable for the style and techniques you use.

To try and see how different scales feel, find a bass with a 34" scale and capo at the 2nd fret for 30.3, 3rd fret for 28.6, and 4th fret for 27, or a 35” scale bass capo at the 2nd fret for 31.2, 3rd fret for 29.4, 4th fret for 27.7, 5th fret for 26.2.

Dayn

Reaction score
As has been said, I wouldn't get it if you plan to tune it in a standard tuning. Unless you like strings without much clarity. The bass frequencies would be incredibly prominent for the strings you'd need.

If you were tuning differently, then sure. Hmm... High G, then EBGDAE... B, and something else? If you didn't mind alternate tunings that didn't go particularly low.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I can't imagine playing a 9 string at that scale, stay away.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I'm typically one who doesn't let scale lengths get in the way of things and I'd also have to say stay away. You can totally get down to 7 string A standard on a gibson scale. The gauge of strings you'd use for that would be reasonable enough, albeit not ideal. But going that far down on such a short scale, it just seems like it'd be a disappointment. I mean, it'll work, but it'd sound like shit. If you like muddy undefined tones, then go for it. If you like clear tones, then avoid anything under 27".

Basically, for a 9 string tuned standard or lower, you'll either want fanned frets or a 28+" inch scale.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I owned an Agile 925 for a bit and loved it. (there's a NGD thread on here somewhere... Here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/192297-ngd-agile-intrepid-925-a.html )

It was just too many strings for me... I never had an issue with the scale length at all. Recorded and played very well. I'm just not man enough for that many strings.

The guy I sold it too is making a ton of killer music with and it sounds great. It was very playable and didn't flub out surprisingly enough.

It's one of those things you just have to try out and see if the scale length is good for the type of music you like to create.

chopshop777

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you so much everyone for your time and input, appreciate it much. I think I am gonna take most of the advice and stay away from this one. cheers. Ed

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you so much everyone for your time and input, appreciate it much. I think I am gonna take most of the advice and stay away from this one. cheers. Ed

If you really want an agile they're not super pricey to order new and they have a great return/exchange policy.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Thinking of some tunings you could do with this thing.
(high to low)
- EBGDAebeb - have the bottom two strings repeat, but in the same octave the same way a ukulele has a higher low string.
- EeBbGDAeb - double the top two strings for mega chords
- GgEeBGDAe - perhaps a high A instead of a high G if you felt up for it
- DCGdcgDCG - I figured 9 strings makes for three triads - I do love me some open tunings.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Yeah, most definitely stay away from this one. Scale length is just too short to support most conventional tunings

BusinessMan

Reaction score
get away from it. you'll have no definition on the lowest string and your lowest strings are going to flopping everywhere. Use that money to buy one with a longer scale