Your own original sound?

• Thread starter Jarlesworth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Like everyone here, I'm still in the process of developing my original sound and always will be but right now, it just seems to be a mix of everything I listen to and play. Since the only times I've ever played with any other musicians are a couple times jamming with a good friend, I always play and write by myself so I'm pretty confined to only what I think or hear. My style seems to be a combination of Born Of Osiris (Song structure, some leads), CHON (Leads), Veil Of Maya (Riffs), The Contortionist (Clean Parts), Periphery/Haunted Shores (Chords, tapping stuff) all incorporated on a 7.

Murmel

Reaction score
I often find myself writing pop-rock or indie in weird time signatues in Guitar Pro.. Kinda Biffy Clyro-esque I guess. A lot of picking and chords with really weird basslines (bass is my main instrument). Very little lead stuff going on.

Jarlesworth

Reaction score
And what 7-string did you get dude?

I got the Ibanez RGA7QM. I'm loving it, too! It's the best guitar I've had so far. It sounds out the mid-pitched notes so well, unlike every other guitar I've had.

On another note.. You know, I would have thought that Children of Bodom would play an influence in my guitar playing because when I first started playing guitar I practiced their music so much.. but now I just hate their music (old and new)
I don't even know what my influence comes from now, but it's nothing that I've practiced or any of the main bands that I listen to. I'm still not satisfied with my metal writing style yet, though. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for but I haven't found it yet. I enjoy playing the stuff I write on the acoustic, though :p

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we're always developing our own styles because we are constantly evolving as players. Our influences are always in flux as we learn about great new players on the scene and maybe some old ones we hadn't discovered until now. For me Jimmy Page changed my life as well as Allan Holdsworth and Scott Henderson. I definitely don't sound like these guys nor have their great talent, but I like to think I may have absorbed a bit of their style and musical sensibility. Also listening to a lot of the great players on this forum has given me new perspective and sometimes rearranges my goals and priorities as a guitar player. :yesway::wub:

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
I play what I want to hear :hbang:

This.

My influences evolved just as everyone's does. Mainstream pop-punk and screamo as a young teen, breakdown-filled deathcore mid-teens, Jazz-inspired metal in late teens, up until Progressive Metal(Or progressive deathcore to get a little specific) now. As I progressed with my playing, I became interested in more exciting and technically skilled bands. I have yet to find bands that meet all my needs in music so naturally I try to create it.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Mine is always changing...

As a session musician, live engineer and avid listener I'm constantly exposed to new things and so I keep growing as a player and writer all the time

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I've always had a strange, pretty unique style, so it was easy for my to "have my own style."

I never did covers or anything of the sort; I spent all my time writing music when I was starting out on guitar, not learning others'. That may have a lot to do with it. There are very few songs that I actually know how to play, and even those I usually play as exercises and not as songs, and even then I only play them once in a great while (a couple times a year at most).

I've just never wanted to play like guitar A, B, or C, so it never bothered me that I couldn't.

Dayn

Reaction score
I got into music because I wanted to play good melodies... and because of electronica. So I didn't really come into it with a 'rock' perspective. Through listening to a lot of music, I found I liked electronic aspects with open, airy atmosphere, and a clean guitar with a metal aesthetic mixed with jazz harmonies and other strange structures. Kind of 'driving', as well. I don't feel limited, and will happily compose impossible or near-impossible things and try to play it. If all else fails, I'll use electronics or studio trickery to make it happen.