Zebrawood fingerboard oil?

• Thread starter Un1corn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Hi, I really bought a zebrawood fingerboard erg. I use oil on my Ebony fingerboard, I wonder if it's necessary to oil the zebrawood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every unfinished fretboard needs oil at some point. Anything with a finish (even thin oil/wax) will not need treatment with a nourishing oil.

How often is going to be determined by climate, storage, how often you play, and how often and the method in which you clean the board.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
any particular oil y'all would recommend for ebony? I've got a few ebony fretboards that could use some TLC.

Also, naptha is the preferred cleaning agent for ebony, right?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
any particular oil y'all would recommend for ebony? I've got a few ebony fretboards that could use some TLC.

Good old fashioned mineral oil. It's cheap, readily available, and does a great job. It's actually the base oil in most guitar focused oils, like "lemon oil" (which doesn't actually have lemons in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) before fragrances or detergents are added.

As for cleaning, naphtha has been my go-to for...way too damn long. If you can get it in your area, do it. I know some places like Cali restrict sales of it now.

lewis

Reaction score
Good old fashioned mineral oil. It's cheap, readily available, and does a great job. It's actually the base oil in most guitar focused oils, like "lemon oil" (which doesn't actually have lemons in it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) before fragrances or detergents are added.

As for cleaning, naphtha has been my go-to for...way too damn long. If you can get it in your area, do it. I know some places like Cali restrict sales of it now.

Mineral Oil and Naptha really are THE best options.

been using Mineral Oil in particular for a while now and fretboards/necks come up lovely.

I even like coating the entire top of a guitar (not painted obv) with it too because it looks so nice haha

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score

im using Musicnomad Finger Oil

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Read up on bore oil. There's a reason that professional restorers and woodwind players don't use mineral oil. Or, don't read anything and just buy some fret doctor. :2c:

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Dude , I see the “one” polish which is so popular and then the other pro strength

which is better to use for cleaning the body
haven't cleaned body with my polish, the polish is for rusted metal parts like bridge i think. I cleaned my old fr bridge which was rusty as hell but its now shiny as new.