Zelda Tears of the Kingdom/BOTW Thread

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Discuss the game here now that it's out! Play diaries, etc. Don't be a jerk with spoilers, use the tags if you think it's big (ex, if there's actually a plot this time around or some huge discovery that's late in the game). But, within reason don't worry about it.

Mine's supposedly shipped, supposed to get here by 10 PM, but I don't think I'm going to be able to play it till late (or maybe tomorrow)!!

I'm most excited about the fact you have a portable cooking station and cooking recipes actually save to a list!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh shit I haven't been following and didn't realize this came out lol

I just got into BOTW a few months back and need to get back into it and finish it!

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I'm most excited about the fact you have a portable cooking station and cooking recipes actually save to a list!!
i knew about the cooking station (it's 1 use only i think?) but the recipe book was something i was unaware of. damn i'll have to check that out when i get back on later.

the opening is pretty sick, i will not spoil anything but there's another Great Plateau-like tutorial area, but it feels a bit more linear, but still pretty open.

overall i've really been enjoying it. feels like BOTW but so much more flexible, allows a lot of creativity in how you approach scenarios

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Thanks for making a specific thread so we don't clog up the Soulsborniro Ring thread.

Amazon failed to deliver so I bought one in town after work. My brother will get the Amazon copy. Waiting for it to download.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Still on the great plateau, really appreciating the ability to drop items if you're full and you open a chest

wankerness

Reaction score
Still on the great plateau, really appreciating the ability to drop items if you're full and you open a chest
Yeah, that one had me excited, too. It's not a BIG thing, but it was one of those little annoyances to constantly open a chest, find out it was an item that you had full inventory of, and then have to close the chest, drop an item out of your inventory, and then go through the chest animation again. Though unless inventory slots are more limited than in BOTW, I don't anticipate having a full inventory of weapons very often with all the fusing that will be going on!

wankerness

Reaction score
Thanks for making a specific thread so we don't clog up the Soulsborniro Ring thread.

Amazon failed to deliver so I bought one in town after work. My brother will get the Amazon copy. Waiting for it to download.
What can I say, I don't want to take attention away from people being mad about Hollow Knight 2!

It's more that I'd rather the games that produce a ton of focused nerdy discussion have their own threads so people can refer to them easily instead of having to search that huge megathread for relevant posts. There should have been a soulsborne quarantine thread years and years ago. Too late now!

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
so apparently there are
shrines, and
300+
caves. publications are saying there's 900 koroks again, but tbh if it's like BOTW the intent is just to make sure you get lots of seeds, not that you get all of them. stoked to play some more later

fucking YES

edit: put the numbers in spoiler tags in case anyone wants to find out. left the 900 koroks since it's 1) unconfirmed, and 2) the same as botw

wankerness

Reaction score
so apparently there are 152 shrines, and 300+ caves. publications are saying there's 900 koroks again, but tbh if it's like BOTW the intent is just to make sure you get lots of seeds, not that you get all of them. stoked to play some more later

fucking YES
Wow, I didn't even know the game HAD shrines. Are they the same item drops again? Orbs that you need 4 of for one portion of stamina/one heart?

The Korok seeds were cool cause they were EVERYWHERE but there was absolutely no stick in the game prodding you to try and find all of them. You couldn't even USE them beyond a certain point and Nintendo has no achievements/trophies/item unlocks so it wasn't like some Ubisoft or Batman/Spiderman game where you are being told you have to collect every single one of those damn collectibles. It was very freeing! I pretty much was on the lookout for them nonstop until I had maxed out the weapon inventory, and then after that would just pick them up if I happened across something that looked suspicious but probably didn't get more than about 200, 250 total.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know the game HAD shrines. Are they the same item drops again? Orbs that you need 4 of for one portion of stamina/one heart?

The Korok seeds were cool cause they were EVERYWHERE but there was absolutely no stick in the game prodding you to try and find all of them. You couldn't even USE them beyond a certain point and Nintendo has no achievements/trophies/item unlocks so it wasn't like some Ubisoft or Batman/Spiderman game where you are being told you have to collect every single one of those damn collectibles. It was very freeing! I pretty much was on the lookout for them nonstop until I had maxed out the weapon inventory, and then after that would just pick them up if I happened across something that looked suspicious but probably didn't get more than about 200, 250 total.
yes, though i've only done i think 5 at this point, they seem to be a bit more complex than the botw ones were, but that's a crazy small sample size.

and yeah, you "only" needed 441 to max out all of your inventory slots. my wife actually just beat botw for the first time like 4 days ago in prep for TOTK and she got all 441. psycho shit

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Someone on slack said they were WFH today ..... as in "Working From Hyrule".
It's just sitting there staring at me, but I'm going to do the right thing and finish the work day before starting this up.

wankerness

Reaction score
yes, though i've only done i think 5 at this point, they seem to be a bit more complex than the botw ones were, but that's a crazy small sample size.

and yeah, you "only" needed 441 to max out all of your inventory slots. my wife actually just beat botw for the first time like 4 days ago in prep for TOTK and she got all 441. psycho shit
Hopefully they're still just one puzzle and maybe a second optional objective for a weapon like in the first game. I liked that about the game, I absolutely hated the ripoff Immortals Fenyx Rising cause every single shrine had THREE of each puzzle in escalating difficulty.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Hopefully they're still just one puzzle and maybe a second optional objective for a weapon like in the first game. I liked that about the game, I absolutely hated the ripoff Immortals Fenyx Rising cause every single shrine had THREE of each puzzle in escalating difficulty.
some of them have seemed maybe a hair longer than the old ones? the fifth one i did was basically "A Minor Test of Strength" from botw but with a different enemy type. but none of them have been genuinely long. supposedly there's legitimate full-size dungeons in this one so i'd assume that's where the bulk of the puzzles will be

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Me and my son are picking up a copy tomorrow, stoked! I'm a huge fan of the BoTW world, never played any of the others besides a bit of OoT and Minish Cap, I hope this still captures all the wonder and mystery that BoTW had.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This game is very good. I don't really know what else to say. It's like BotW but with interesting new mechanics and a vastly remixed world. Yes please.

I got to
the end of the first section, the next thing is landing on the ground.
That took me 3 hours.

My only disappointment is I can't play games for long stretches anymore like I used to. BotW came out and I played it until like 8am, then got up a few hours later and played until 9pm. Since the clot I can't do anything really for more than 2 hours without getting debilitating headaches, so this game will probably take me a lot longer than the previous one.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Basic question, is there enough of a story to go to the next “dungeon” or is it so open that you never know wtf is happening like the first game?

Comparatively that’s something Elden Ring nailed. Enough if a path to go “to the next place” if you wanted.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
@Mathemagician
It's got the same story as the first game so far. Beginner area, small intro quest, go to the 4 corners

This game is much more difficult than the first one I think. Not actually hard, but not bash your way through with no care in the world.

I will also say, if I hadn't played the first game I would be completely overwhelmed. There are a hundred bajilion controls in this game - it expands heavily on what the first game did as far as abilities and controls.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I hope this still captures all the wonder and mystery that BoTW had.
I started a couple hours ago and my first impressions are:
- We reaaaaally need Nintendo hardware that looks better than a PS3 at this point. The age of the system is painful. I know graphics aren't everything, but you can feel the title stretching the console to it's limits.
- After playing through BotW twice, I thought that it would be great if I could experience it again like it was new - this kinda feels like an answer to that. Pretty happy with that.