Zero fret height

• Thread starter J_Mac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J_Mac

Reaction score
Can anyone with a set of vernier callipers and an instrument with a zero fret do me a favour and measure their zero fret and another fret please? I wish I had done this before I sold my Strandberg! I fancy a zero fret on an upcoming build, I like the sound and it seems to make a lot of sense in terms of construction precision (to me, anyway).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
On my build I leveled it with the other frets (same height) and it worked perfectly. The same height makes sense if you think about it, since that's exactly what you get when you play anything but an open string.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
As my friends above me said - just level it with the other frets.

If you want to you can leave it like 0.010mm higher or something if you want by just sanding it SLIGHTLY less than the others so that you assure that it won't start choking since zero frets, even stainless steel ones, wear quicker than the rest of the frets on the fretboard.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Depends, I usually swap them out on my guitars if they're not already graphtech nuts and if so I just buy a blank and carve/shape it to fit :)

HighPotency

Reaction score
To me the more important thing would seem to be the nut height- too tall and your strings will clear the zero fret, too short and they'll press down harder on it and wear grooves into it faster. Oddly enough I spent a lot of time contemplating this dilemma in the past but never realized it until now.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
I buy the Black Tusq XL nut blanks and use those, about $10-$12 each. I use the FretFind printout for my string spacing, going equal distant from the centers, then carefully cutting the slots just deep enough for desired action. Once that's done I just shape it to make it comfortable on the fretting hand, then sand and polish it (doesn't get too shiny, so stop about 2000 grit).