Zimbloth's 8-String Ibanez 'Custom' Adventure (EMG to BKP Conversion!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Backstory

As many of you who know me or chat with me on AIM know, this is something that has been in the works for over 6 months. It was at that time I decided I'd like to give the RG8 another shot. I really liked how the RG8 played, but really hated how noisy, overly compressed, sterile, and dull the EMG 808s sound. I wanted to put my beloved Bare Knuckles in there, but due to EMG using their bass housings the BKP would not fit (assuming you wanted a clean look).

The solution was to have a custom made pickguard made, but this wasn't an easy task either as no pickguard makers have templates for the 8-string yet, and certainly not with the unique configuration I wanted. Luckily, the other guitarist in my band Buddy who has a background in workshops, drew up a schematic which I then forwarded to the good people at Pickguard Paradise who took the specs and made me a sweet 'african marble' pickguard :yesway:

The Pickguard

The idea here was for the guard not only be made to fit the RG2228 and the Bare Knuckle, but I also wanted it to cover up the neck route, the 5-way selector switch, and the tone knob - just leaving the bridge and 1 volume. As I said it's their 'African Marble' and is extremely high quality. Buddy really did a great job with the schematic as it fits perfectly, and he REALLY went to great efforts to ensure the pickup route was clean and would be snug but also allow for easy adjustment. Bravo my friend, bravo :metal:

The Pickup

The pickup I opted for here was the Bare Knuckle 'Cold Sweat' bridge model. This is a pickup that always is a huge winner in basswood Ibanez, and this is no exception. It's hard to even put into words how much better the guitar sounds now than with the hideous EMG808s. It has about the same output, but it sounds more powerful due to how much more definition, tightness, aggression and pure tone the Cold Sweat has. The low B and F# strings especially reap the benefits. It no longer sounds like a bland distorted bass, and now sounds fucking brutal, crisp, and yes my Bulbites, djenty.

The low end is so focused and musical, with the EMGs it sounded very boomy and borderline muddy. It had this 'round' character that was so compressed it felt like it had no character. The Cold Sweat has amazing harmonics as well. The whole guitar honest to God sounds infinitely more 'alive' now. I'll try to make some clips soon for what its worth.

The clean tones are much better too, which actually was the one thing I thought the EMG 808s did alright. The Cold Sweat is versatile and organic enough that I'm really not missing the neck pickup at all. A little roll down on the volume really fattens and sweetens it up nicely.

I can't express accurately how friggin ecstatic I am over the transformation of this guitar. I think it looks sleek and badass now, and it sounds better than I ever could have envisioned an Ibanez 8 sounding after 2 previous go-arounds with the RG2228.

Conclusion

Anyways, as you can tell I'm on cloud nine right now. The guitar plays amazing, and now sounds/looks amazing too. In my opinion anyways. This is exactly what I hoped for when I planned this out last year. Again, much thanks goes out to my bandmate Buddy and the guys at Pickguard Paradise. I'm still not even sure if 8-string is my thing, so who knows if I'll keep this long-term, but I had to give it a real chance with some decent pickups before knowing that. Hopefully it's a keeper :metal:

EDIT: For sale.

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
so what do you think of basswood as a tonewood for eights now that this one has a good pickup in it? (compared to others)

saffron shrimp

Reaction score
That's sexy, in fact, it's almost as sexy as watching a girl eat watermelon while listening to Megadeth.:metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's sexy, in fact, it's almost as sexy as watching a girl eat watermelon while listening to Megadeth.:metal:

Nicely done Nick, looks great. :yesway:

Thanks Nick, Matt :)

so what do you think of basswood as a tonewood for eights now that this one has a good pickup in it? (compared to others)

Well I knew from my experience with the Cold Sweat in my RG2610E that this combo would be epic. This guitar sounds a lot better though. You have to keep in mind with the RG8, the maple plays a much bigger role in the tonal equation than on a super thin neck 6-string RG.

While basswood is not one of my favorite tonewoods, with pickups voiced perfectly for them like the Cold Sweat, Miracle Man, etc, it sounds amazing. Unfortunately the pickups usually associated with basswood IMO are unflattering and meh, which why is a lot of people hate them. The Cold Sweat has the tight bass, superb attack/clarity, and balanced midrange voicing that compliments basswood/maple really well.

I couldn't be happier :D

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
"I wanted to put my beloved Bare Knuckles in there, but due to EMG using their bass housings the BKP would not fit (assuming you wanted a clean look)."

Supposing you didn't care about a clean look - will the BKP pups fit, without routing?

Thinking about an RG2228, with BKP replacement myself...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
"I wanted to put my beloved Bare Knuckles in there, but due to EMG using their bass housings the BKP would not fit (assuming you wanted a clean look)."

Supposing you didn't care about a clean look - will the BKP pups fit, without routing?

Thinking about an RG2228, with BKP replacement myself...

Yeah they'll fit technically, you could use foam or whatever Dendro did to his RG8. I personally think that looks quite awful though, but if you only care about the sound and not the looks, that's a viable option for sure :yesway:

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
Yeah they'll fit technically, you could use foam or whatever Dendro did to his RG8. I personally think that looks quite awful though, but if you only care about the sound and not the looks, that's a viable option for sure :yesway:

Ah, so the EMGs are smaller. Yeah, have to figure something out :scratch:

Nice job though, looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts