1st week on a 10 string

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
My first week of messing around making a lot of noise and having fun on a 10 string.

With big frets, it's easy to press too hard and be out of tune on a 34inch scale with these very, very slack strings.

My main objective is to have fun playing the instrument, nothing serious.

Tuning:
E3 A2 D2 G1 C1 Bass Side
E2 A2 D3 G3 C4 Treble Side

It's like playing a 5 string bass and a 5 String Guitar simultaneously, but tapping with both hands simultaneously. After 40+ years of guitar playing I'm finding this instrument very, very difficult.

It's early days, so hopefully I will improve over time, it's great fun to play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsday

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's more like a Chapman stick! I read guitar. Cool!

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very cool, i've been watching stickmen videos (Tony Levin, Markus Reuter), I really want one

Also Reuter teaching Shawn crowder to tap on an 8 string, single course with Fripp's mostly 5ths tuning

Last edited:

GuyB

Reaction score
Very cool, i've been watching stickmen videos (Tony Levin, Markus Reuter), I really want one

Also Reuter teaching Shawn crowder to tap on an 8 string, single course with Fripp's mostly 5ths tuning

Yes, great stuff, I've watched some of the full lessons on Markus Reuter's youtube channel, the lessons have a great emphasis on playing position, on touch, moving into a note for a better sound. The Fripp tuning C2-G2-D3-A3-E4-G4 is interesting, I like Markus Reuter's unconventional music, you can hear he has great feel and empathy.

Screwhead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Fripp tuning C2-G2-D3-A3-E4-G4 is interesting...

I tried it out and I loved it for the low-end, but had trouble coming to grips with the high-end.. I felt like going up in fifths was too much for me, and never really got used to the high G. Ended up using a hybrid tuning based off of his NST that I'm calling Mirror Tuning on my 7 string and I've been loving it, though; FCGDgcf; FCGD are a fifth from each other, so easy one-finger power chords, and the Dgcf are a fourth, so it's more like a "standard" guitar, with the added fun benefit of having the three highest strings be 1-2-3 octaves from the low strings, so I can easily add some high-end accents and everything will always sound good together.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I tried it out and I loved it for the low-end, but had trouble coming to grips with the high-end.. I felt like going up in fifths was too much for me, and never really got used to the high G. Ended up using a hybrid tuning based off of his NST that I'm calling Mirror Tuning on my 7 string and I've been loving it, though; FCGDgcf; FCGD are a fifth from each other, so easy one-finger power chords, and the Dgcf are a fourth, so it's more like a "standard" guitar, with the added fun benefit of having the three highest strings be 1-2-3 octaves from the low strings, so I can easily add some high-end accents and everything will always sound good together.

This sounds sick, if you ever record anything definitely post it!