2011 BlackMachine News?

• Thread starter DesertBurst
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
Hah, not quite how it works but I feel for you. A lot of Doug's customers aren't forum-goers, so while it may appear like Misha and I get preferential treatment it's only because we publicise our instruments on here and elsewhere.
Send him an email with the subject header saying "Please add me to your mailing list for available instruments" or similar. No promises, but that might do the trick.

I was being funny. How about I say, "Nolly says add me to waiting list else!" ha ha. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to send your suggestion right now. Thanks man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beardyman

Beardaholic.
Reaction score
^^^ agreed. I just wish there was someway I could get on that waiting list. I've been trying for years to contact him through email so I could get a custom built by him. If only my name were Adam or Misha I could get on there. Only the VIP's seem to get on that list. I would love to own a "Special" B2 or B7.

I feel for ya man, i've also been trying to contact him for years. I'll have to try and hop on one of those specials also!

Trev

Reaction score
All I can say is that If after being on his list since January of 2009 I don't get the oppurtunity to get a guitar hand built by Doug, I will be extremely disappointed in him.

Vletrmx

ζ
Reaction score
All I can say is that If after being on his list since January of 2009 I don't get the oppurtunity to get a guitar hand built by Doug, I will be extremely disappointed in him.

I'm sorry but I have to ask: In the almost 2 years you've waited, have you not considered going with another luthier who could reproduce one of these guitars? The design seems fairly simple, and I'm sure there are luthiers out there who could do a very good job.

This isn't a dig at you or anyone else for waiting, it's just that I'm curious. I hope you finally get your guitar hand-built by Doug. :)

FLGearnut

Reaction score
seems to me the desire to own "unobtainium" is greater than the desire for the actual instrument itself.

There is always a wow factor when you have something just about nobody else has for the most part.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
I agree, I mean only a percentage in mass production type cnc's are going to miss the deadspots and such that a luthier overseeing the body wood undergoing a cnc rough body cut with caring knowledge is going to eliminate, and probably does so before the cnc process is started with perfect wood selection. Mass cnc jobs can be robotically operated however, and are oblivious to any tone impurities that may arise within the wood.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Wow, you all came to conclusions that I did not.

When I read the original post, it sounded like to me he is going to hire some people and expand his operation. He did not say it would be the last handmade Blackmachines, just the last ones handmade by him.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
CNC is a non-issue. PRSes are CNCed and everyone drools about the finishes and craftsmanship. It's all in QC and knowing how to use the tools. Seeing as how much a CNC machine costs, it is likely there will be more output than now anyway.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree that CNC is a bit of a dead horse. Do you think the "handmade" guitars are being carved with hand saws and chisels?

Any luthier who's "hand-making" guitars is likely using routers and templates in addition to many hand tools. Some (like me) are using templates that were cut with (*GASP!*) a CNC machine or a laser. Machines have certain attributes that makes them extremely good for things like guitar production:

* accuracy
* consistency
* speed

Accuracy: Parts are milled to an extremely fine set of tolerances. You want things like your frets, nut and bridge to be as accurate as possible, also any parts that mate up like neck heels and the pockets they go into. CNC excels at cutting things accurately.

Consistency: When building guitars in a full production situation or even in small runs or individual instruments built at a slower pace, the builder can be sure that necks and bodies built cut at different times will come out more or less exactly the same, meaning parts and components can be stockpiled, allowing for greater efficiency. Spare parts can also be swapped out if there are warranty issues.

Speed: Bodies and necks can be roughed out in much less time, and can be done while the builder works on other things. Less time doing time-consuming and routine work like cutting out necks and bodies and routing cavities in multiple operations, means the luthier can spend more time on the things that are better done by hand, like final neck profiling and fretwork... things that require that human touch. This allows instruments to be turned around with excellent quality in less time.

When people get unsatisfactory instruments made using CNC machines, it's not because of the machines... it's because they likely cut corners on the human component... the neck, the final sanding, the fretwork, the setup, and final quality controls.

CNC machines present tremendous opportunities for the small builder to increase production speed while not sacrificing quality.

Meshugger

Reaction score
CNC machines present tremendous opportunities for the small builder to increase production speed while not sacrificing quality.

And with a larger supply and faster building times, the prices should drop as well. Right?

/crosses fingers

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
And with a larger supply and faster building times, the prices should drop as well. Right?

/crosses fingers

Probably not. He will now have to be able to afford upkeep on the CNC, if it is his. Just because he can pump them out quicker doesn't mean he has to change his pricing. There is a possibility that he will raise his prices now since he will possibly be pumping out more guitars.

More guitars = more CNC wear and tear. So if he isn't making enough profit off of these guitars to live and maintain the CNC, there might be a price increase.

Quinny

Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't know there was a current 'list'. I thought he closed the books a year or two ago and that there was a list of people at that time which were in line for custom orders. Are they not the 6 or so people Nolly mentioned? (one of which is me, my B7 is nearly done - I thought I was either the last or second last order (not sure though)). As far as I was aware that was it, no more orders and no more lists until the backlog is cleared. Has there been another list of some sort opened since the 'custom' list/orders closed up?

I read the message as two things....on one hand maybe some help (machines or people) in the interest of speed, and on the other the 'private stock' offerings. All good, interesting stuff...looking forward to seeing what emerges.

Q.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly want a Blackmachine merely for the prestige. They do look cool, but I'm pretty sure I'd be the only guys in the state to own one.

Freestyler8

Reaction score
Misha's B2 was the last of the non-B6s Doug has built (that I know of) and that was 10 months ago now.

I sincerley hope there are several *almost* complete guitars. If you ask me, with the waiting list we are led to believe Doug has, this just is NOT acceptable. Especially when several people have paid deposits, and it now looks like many people on this list are potentially not even getting a guitar built.

As much appeal as BM's have I've just heard too many bad things about they way Doug runs his business to ever consider getting one new (even if I could afford it :rofl:). On the other hand, this doesn't stop me wanting one!

The demand is still there and I'm sure he is raking it in so fair play I guess.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Probably not. He will now have to be able to afford upkeep on the CNC, if it is his. Just because he can pump them out quicker doesn't mean he has to change his pricing. There is a possibility that he will raise his prices now since he will possibly be pumping out more guitars.

More guitars = more CNC wear and tear. So if he isn't making enough profit off of these guitars to live and maintain the CNC, there might be a price increase.

This.

It costs money to buy and run a CNC, or to outsource production to a dedicated CNC shop so you don't have that overhead. The thing with a CNC is that once you've bought it, you really need to keep feeding it so it pays for itself, especially if you have a full-time programmer/technician on staff.

I wouldn't expect Doug to drop his prices, because i'd want him to be more profitable so he can stay in business and continue to grow.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok guys, let'd drop the CNC discussion since there is no evidence Doug is even going to start using them. It was an assumption that's basically lead to a ton of posts over nothing

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't know there was a current 'list'. I thought he closed the books a year or two ago and that there was a list of people at that time which were in line for custom orders. Are they not the 6 or so people Nolly mentioned? (one of which is me, my B7 is nearly done - I thought I was either the last or second last order (not sure though)). As far as I was aware that was it, no more orders and no more lists until the backlog is cleared. Has there been another list of some sort opened since the 'custom' list/orders closed up?

I read the message as two things....on one hand maybe some help (machines or people) in the interest of speed, and on the other the 'private stock' offerings. All good, interesting stuff...looking forward to seeing what emerges.

Q.

The waiting list we're referring to is actually a bit of a misnomer. Via his site Doug asked people who wanted to express an interest in a guitar to email. These people haven't paid any deposits.

Re your guitar, I believe yours is being built alongside mine. Since I was the first on the waiting list we signed up to, I think you must have been second. :yesway: