2023 News ?

• Thread starter manu80
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Not super substantial, but this either means that his new pickups are more overpriced than the already overpriced Alpha and Omega set (I say this as a fan of them), or swapping from the reddish/purple stain to blue was a pricey decision :lol:
Might just be general inflation costs added. Like with everything else. I'm very curious about the pickups (big fan of A8 pickups in general) and hope that Seymour Duncan puts out a more elaborated description video. The two PRS videos were generic and vague: "see if we could do something better" "fat and glassy" "same output/but I have to turn up the gain"... We're mostly nerds here my friend. Deep dive the changes, please. A/O set and Black Winters are some of the best SD creations in recent memory. I use the F out of them, swapped magnets, etc. A8s can get really bright and hairy if not wound with appropriate wire and method. Ormsby's Nunchucker is still the best all-around with an A8 magnet IMO, under any gain setting depending on application. The BW A8s I've had SD make are almost out of control with output and brightness, very wood responsive and best in darker guitars. I am not thrilled by the tones in the videos, but I'm sure other rigs and applications may impress.

The color looks great. Perfect complement to the Brisket Burst. Holcomburst blue? Nope. Batman Burst all the way.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Might just be general inflation costs added. Like with everything else. I'm very curious about the pickups (big fan of A8 pickups in general) and hope that Seymour Duncan puts out a more elaborated description video. The two PRS videos were generic and vague: "see if we could do something better" "fat and glassy" "same output/but I have to turn up the gain"... We're mostly nerds here my friend. Deep dive the changes, please. A/O set and Black Winters are some of the best SD creations in recent memory. I use the F out of them, swapped magnets, etc. A8s can get really bright and hairy if not wound with appropriate wire and method. Ormsby's Nunchucker is still the best all-around with an A8 magnet IMO, under any gain setting depending on application. The BW A8s I've had SD make are almost out of control with output and brightness, very wood responsive and best in darker guitars. I am not thrilled by the tones in the videos, but I'm sure other rigs and applications may impress.

The color looks great. Perfect complement to the Brisket Burst. Holcomburst blue? Nope. Batman Burst all the way.
Yeah, it’s most likely inflation. I’m just being an ass.

Now you’ve got me thinking of an A/O, BW hybrid pickup. I know the SD custom shop would do it, but I don’t want to pay custom shop prices :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
He mentioned the Alnico 8 in the new bridge pickup - had a SD Alternative 8 in my SE Custom 24 for years and became a big fan. High output without some of the harshness of ceramic pickups. I loved the A/O set when I briefly owned a Holcomb SE. Would like the SE locking tuners at the new price though.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Yeah, it’s most likely inflation. I’m just being an ass.

Now you’ve got me thinking of an A/O, BW hybrid pickup. I know the SD custom shop would do it, but I don’t want to pay custom shop prices :lol:
LOL I saw that! As far as the hybrid, SD will for sure. My BW/Nazgul hybrid is one of the best pickups ever voiced for OSDM. Facts. But you are correct that the price is up there. Still might be cheaper than new BKPs though.
He mentioned the Alnico 8 in the new bridge pickup - had a SD Alternative 8 in my SE Custom 24 for years and became a big fan. High output without some of the harshness of ceramic pickups. I loved the A/O set when I briefly owned a Holcomb SE. Would like the SE locking tuners at the new price though.
Agreed on all fronts. A8s are supposed to up the aggression of the low/mid and mid frequencies while tamming the highs. Most of the time that's accurate, although I've played a few that got pretty bright for my tastes. I've yet to touch the SD Solar+ pickup but if they are in the Solar X at all, it's happening. The Alternative 8 is one of SDs best that doesn't get enough consideration.

Locking tuners should be on this thing, right? Also, I wonder if they improved the trash nut that was on the originals. That always needed to be swapped immediately.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
LOL I saw that! As far as the hybrid, SD will for sure. My BW/Nazgul hybrid is one of the best pickups ever voiced for OSDM. Facts. But you are correct that the price is up there. Still might be cheaper than new BKPs though.
I’ve always wanted to get a BW/Nazgul as well. Do you have any clips or DIs? I’m mainly a death metal guy myself and so far the Black Winters have been as close to perfect as I can find.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I have the A/O sets in three of my guitars. Those and the Pegasus/Sentient quickly became my go to pickups. So I'm super interested to hear a new iteration on the A/O and even more excited to hear they are using an Alnico 8 in the bridge.

If I get them, I will definitely have to do a comparison and post a thread about it.

sell2792

Reaction score
The 2023 PRS lineup is here:

Nothing too mind blowing. The new hardtail Dustie Waring CE does look sick and the new 20 watt amp seems interesting. The McCarty 594s are coming to the SE lineup, which I think that was being speculated anyways.

I’m super excited for the SE McCarty 594 - I’m shocked it took them this long to release one. The only problem is, at that point I’m tempted just to get an S2.

I was really hoping for Dean to put out new Select series MLs in different colors but since 2022 has been rough as fuck for them I doubt they'll be doing much. Which sucks. I really want a white ML select. Hell they STILL haven't shipped out those limited edition swamp ash MLs and they were supposed to be out a long time ago

I would love to see them expand the Exile lineup. The Selects with Fishmans I’ve played have been super solid but I haven’t gotten my hands on the neck-thru variant yet. If they released one with an extra string it would be tempting. That, or if they could make the Kahler equipped models look less gaudy.

In typical SSO fashion I have to say, the new Holcomb sig is looking great, but how the hell does it still have a plastic nut and come without locking tuners? I'm sure it's to keep cost down for the average fan, but I imagine a price hike comes along with the new line as well. Though,I'd happily be proven wrong, I can see them jumping to $1100 and $1200 for the 6 and 7 respectively.

I feel you - the cheap tuners and garbage but that’s a well known issue are inexcusable considering the price and that’s before they increased the price.

LCW

Reaction score
The newer Mark Holcomb color looks pretty badass actually. But what caught my eye are the new Seymour Duncan signature pickups.

"Designed to work with modeling amps in mind, Holcomb’s Scarlet & Scourge pickups bring full tone with slightly less drive, offering more articulation than ever."

Sounds odd to say pickups designed with modeling amps in mind, but I'm deifnitely curious.

It makes some sense. I've heard some guitarists say that modeling amps don't do well with high output or active pick ups for whatever reason. Perhaps after touring for so many years with the Alpha/Omega using AxeFX exclusively there are a few things he's discovered he wanted to change to work better with that set up and other modelers/sims. I am excited to hear it though. It looks great, the blue changes the whole vibe of the guitar to me in a good way.
I wonder if they’ll sound worse through tube amps/guitar cabs? If they massage some frequencies out as modeling tends to have some nasty frequencies in a couple ranges… will they sound dull with traditional amps and cabs… ???

sell2792

Reaction score
I wonder if they’ll sound worse through tube amps/guitar cabs? If they massage some frequencies out as modeling tends to have some nasty frequencies in a couple ranges… will they sound dull with traditional amps and cabs… ???

In my opinion? No. I think it’s just a marketing gimmick to help sell these since modelers are becoming the norm. I’m going to wait for them to come out but I’ll probably throw them in my next guitar since I like the Alpha/Omega so much in my JPX.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Just sounds like making up a problem to make something up to solve it to me... guitars before this worked absolutely fine with modeling. Then again "solving problems that didn't need to be solved" is 90% of guitar gear.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Definitely a marketing gimmick. Sounds much more intentional than "I wasn't feeling the old pickups anymore so I went ahead and swapped them out for something new"

Petrucci does it every 5 years or so lmao

Zado

Reaction score
The fact that you're wondering about this means that kind of marketing isn't the smartest after all :lol:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Anything on Charvel? I know Jackson had a couple new things, but I haven't heard or seen anything from Charvel. Hoping for some more ProMod models. I really miss my DK24, but I wanted to wait until a new one really ticks the boxes for me before buying another.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Not sure if this is news or not, but I just found this preorder for a run of Mick's custom shop carbon fiber. Way out of my price range, but still pretty cool.

230126399405025f.jpg

Rynphos

Reaction score
Cort will supposedly announce their 2023 catalogue over the next 2 weeks.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Kramer announced a couple of new guitars (or variations of current guitars).
There isn't any Kramer love here though.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Kramer announced a couple of new guitars (or variations of current guitars).
There isn't any Kramer love here though.
I was actually just looking at the newer models/finishes yesterday. Honestly, this is probably the first Kramer I could actually see myself owning.... even if the inlays are still atrocious.

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Kramer_KRAU8U985_Caribbean_Blue_Perimeter_KSM1FCBPBF1_FRONT_new.jpg

Reaction score
I was actually just looking at the newer models/finishes yesterday. Honestly, this is probably the first Kramer I could actually see myself owning.... even if the inlays are still atrocious.

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Kramer_KRAU8U985_Caribbean_Blue_Perimeter_KSM1FCBPBF1_FRONT_new.jpg
That headstock looks wonky as fuck. Like it was broken and someone did a ghetto repair and put it on wrong