~220V designed poweramp for my Axe FX?

• Thread starter Euthanasia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Hello people,

After desiding I want to get an Art SLA-2 for my Axe FX, I noticed they got in only for 110V use.
After that I was planning to get a Carvin DCM1000 and found they stopped making them (they make the DCM1000L now) so it's a problem to find one in it's 230V version aswell.

Which amp do you recommend getting that has an ~220V version, and where can I get it from (dont know which countrys use this version, I'm from Israel)?

Thanks,
Itamar.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Thank you very much Hammy.
I am looking for a clean full frequency response which is not designed for guitar, so I can use the poweramp simulations in the best way...

Any more suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just get a high quality step down transformer and mount it inside your rack. That way you'll be able to use any power amp you want regardless of it being designed for 110v.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Wouldnt the transformer add some noise and hum and be kinda big and heavey?
Isnt it better to order a 220v version from a country who use it or something? (by the way, which countries are?)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldnt the transformer add some noise and hum

Not really, as long as you get a quality one. There are tons of transformers within amp and effects, and they're dead silent. It has more to do with the source power, from which a power conditioner will fix most, if not all, electrical noise/hum.

and be kinda big and heavey?

If you're already going for a nice sized rack rig, a five pound (roughly) transformer isn't really going to add any significant weight.

Isnt it better to order a 220v version from a country who use it or something?

That's certainly a viable option, and in the long run it may be better, but that really depends on what's available in 220v. Have you tried contacting any companies to see if they make a 220v version of a certain amp?

(by the way, which countries are?)

Mains power around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your answers max!!

I didnt contact companies but I know Carvin make both version and Art makes only the 110v version.
Is there any other companies recommended beside those for clean full response poweramps that will fit the Axe FX well (so I could check some more)?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your answers max!!

I didnt contact companies but I know Carvin make both version and Art makes only the 110v version.
Is there any other companies recommended beside those for clean full response poweramps that will fit the Axe FX well (so I could check some more)?

Look into QSC, Crown, Stewart, Peavey, etc. Companies known for making high quality P.A. power amps.

Demeyes

Reaction score
If you want a clean full freq amp that's not guitar specific then look into PA power amps. That's what a lot of bassists use. They are easy to get in 220V and since they are solid state and common, they can be pretty cheap for a lot of power.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
If you want a clean full freq amp that's not guitar specific then look into PA power amps. That's what a lot of bassists use. They are easy to get in 220V and since they are solid state and common, they can be pretty cheap for a lot of power.

Yes, that what I'm doing, thanks.
Max, I know these companies but wanted to know if some companies and models are better for this use with the Axe. I heard class AB should be the best for this use, isnt it?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, that what I'm doing, thanks.
Max, I know these companies but wanted to know if some companies and models are better for this use with the Axe. I heard class AB should be the best for this use, isnt it?

Any power amp designed to deliver a "full range" signal, uncolored (such as a P.A. power amp) would be a good choice.

Any power amp made by Carvin, QSC, Stewart, or Crown would work great.

Euthanasia

Reaction score
I heard the guy from Fractal said class D has harsh highs and class AB would be good. and read some people said different things on different amps so I guess it kinda matters.

I found someone who sells he's SLA-2 from france so if he will agree to send it over I think I will get it, or I will order a used Carvin DCM1000 and get a transformer, Even tho there is a used QSC RMX850 here in israel, someone ever heard one with an Axe FX?

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Sorry, I was wrong and discovered only later.
Do you know stores who sells it online in a good price and sends internationally (or more important, to israel?)

georg_f

Reaction score
I use a Peavey IPR 1600 with my Axe Fx.

If you order one from a e.g. german online shop you'll get one for 230V.

There are also power amps out there that have a 110V/230V selector, or accept 110-240V (switching PSU)

Euthanasia

Reaction score
Thanks man!
I think I would go with the SLA-2.. Which stores sell those online in europe (and sends to Israel)?