24.75 or 25.5+ scale

• Thread starter Djentlover666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ptxxx

Reaction score
I'm not sure why or how, but all of the 24 3/4" scale length guitars that I have owned or tried from LTD had a bit higher string tension than my Gibson Les Paul. None of the string break angles were as sharp as the Gibson either. FWIW I would check out the Viper for your low tuned 6 string stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
For drop c and maybe drop Bb.
Certainly 25.5" then, or even longer.
24.75" may be ok for standard tuning, but a lower tuning requires a longer scale, this is why baritone guitars and bass guitars have longer scales than guitars.
For a particular desired tension, a longer scale allows you to reduce the gauge a little, the string is therefore thinner, but also longer, both make it more flexible for better tone, sustain and intonation.
SInce all your other guitars are baritone scale it would be ideal to match one of those scales, to not have to learn a 4th scale length. So i suggest 26.5".
The fact is that 25.5" is designed for standard tuning, if you tune significantly lower that scale starts to become too short and significant problems of string stiffness occur.
I'd say either are fine for Bb
I disagree 24.75" is 'fine', it's certainly short for that low a note. It's important to make clear that the longer scale will be better, the 2 scale lengths are not equally good.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I'm not sure why or how, but all of the 24 3/4" scale length guitars that I have owned or tried from LTD had a bit higher string tension than my Gibson Les Paul.

Your Les Paul Kelly isn't 24.75, but a little bit shorter, depending in the year, and in which US factory it was made.

Djep

Reaction score
I disagree 24.75" is 'fine', it's certainly short for that low a note. It's important to make clear that the longer scale will be better, the 2 scale lengths are not equally good.
It's not just about scale length. How the guitar feels, how's guitars overall sound. Dull is dull sounding no matter the scale. I do have 8-string 28" half step down and 6-string 24,75" in C. 8 has 09-80, 6-stringer 12-60 and 12-56 for many years earlier.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

Yup, hence the PRS McCarty 594. After measuring various vintage Gibsons of various ages, PRS (the man) determined to his ears the 24.594" sounded best.

(PS I also love the not so subtle dig - "combine in the McCarty 594 to create an instrument that plays in tune, is intonated the entire length of the neck..." lol)

ixlramp

Reaction score
It's not just about scale length. How the guitar feels, how's guitars overall sound.
I agree, but this is obvious and irrelevant and does not invalidate my claim that longer scales help for lower tunings.
The only way to answer the question is to assume that all else is equal.
Dull is dull sounding no matter the scale.
A longer scale is highly likely to have a better tone for lower tunings, whatever guitar it is.