24.75" to 25.5/26.5" fan?

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there doing a production 7 with a fan that has 24.75 on the treble side? Thinking of trying some shenanigans with a high G or high A.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
production? nope.

skervesen will build you one tho

Bugger. was hoping to get my hands on a cheapy production model to try the concept out before committing serious coin on a custom.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Arnold did a review of those and said they weren't super terrible.
I love his channel and will never stop watching but he seems to not like budget gear. Seems almost every guitar that is below $600 is junk to him. But to be fair a lot of people that review gear have the same thought.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I love his channel and will never stop watching but he seems to not like budget gear. Seems almost every guitar that is below $600 is junk to him. But to be fair a lot of people that review gear have the same thought.
that's because most production guitars are a crapshoot, especially under 600$. I'd only recommend buying used or maybe an ltd/schecter in that price range, as most guitars I've tried for sub 600$ were meh.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there doing a production 7 with a fan that has 24.75 on the treble side? Thinking of trying some shenanigans with a high G or high A.

The 24.75 will do G, but it'll be a little iffy, and high A will be just about impossible without specialized strings. You're going to want something like 23" to have a solid G or A with expensive, hard to use Gary Goodman strings.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
The 24.75 will do G, but it'll be a little iffy, and high A will be just about impossible without specialized strings. You're going to want something like 23" to have a solid G or A with expensive, hard to use Gary Goodman strings.

Gotcha. Was thinking an 8 would be able to handle a G at 24.75 okay-ish as I'm not the bendy-ist lead player.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotcha. Was thinking an 8 would be able to handle a G at 24.75 okay-ish as I'm not the bendy-ist lead player.

It'll tune up, but it's going to be really high tension and go dull pretty quickly.

If you're just looking to mess around, just capo a 24-fret guitar with something like a 25.5" scale and tune up a couple semi-tones. It'll be much lower stress, and you'll lose the lows, but it'll give you an idea if the G or A is something worth exploring.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Been using 24.75 for G# for years, only broken it a handful of times. Researched and tested it quite thoroughly beforehand. I don't disagree with Max though, it's not a 'normal' string at this length. I'm not 100% comfortable with it and it can only bend a semitone, and doing so is risky.
G on the other hand, I have to say is fairly safe at 24.75 as long as you only bend it a semitone regularly and have no sharp points. In theory it can bend a tone to equate to what I'm doing from G#.
But I agree 23.5 or less is good if you want to really have comfortable fun :) Entirely necessary for A.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
It'll tune up, but it's going to be really high tension and go dull pretty quickly.

If you're just looking to mess around, just capo a 24-fret guitar with something like a 25.5" scale and tune up a couple semi-tones. It'll be much lower stress, and you'll lose the lows, but it'll give you an idea if the G or A is something worth exploring.

Been using 24.75 for G# for years, only broken it a handful of times. Researched and tested it quite thoroughly beforehand. I don't disagree with Max though, it's not a 'normal' string at this length. I'm not 100% comfortable with it and it can only bend a semitone, and doing so is risky.
G on the other hand, I have to say is fairly safe at 24.75 as long as you only bend it a semitone regularly and have no sharp points. In theory it can bend a tone to equate to what I'm doing from G#.
But I agree 23.5 or less is good if you want to really have comfortable fun :) Entirely necessary for A.

Cheers for the info guys. I'l crack the capo out first and go from there. Little bit of back story, I've been playing 7s for so long now that I'm used to the neck width, so for 6 string material I've been stringing my 7's with 6 string sets, but starting from the 7th string and missing the first. I've currently got two 7s in 6-string Drop C tuning and I've been thinking of trying out a high G on there.

Latest posts