26" or 26.5" 6 string guitars

Dommak89

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what companies are out there that make 26" or 26.5" 6 string guitars. I know of Ibanezs RGD series, but they never appealed to me. I think Schecter has some, too, or is 26.5" just their scale length for 7 strings and beyond? Are there any other companies and models I should know of? Also I'm not looking for custom models. Although a Boden 6 would be appealing, I wouldn't have the funds for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Schecter has the Blackjack EX. 26.5"

Agile has some to choose from. 27"

LTD made a Baritone MH-400 a long time ago but they are hard to find. 27"

Ibanez XL's are even more rare, I have seen an RG470XL but thats it. 27"

I know you said you didn't want to go custom, but if you buy a Strat, Tele, or Jazzmaster you can get a 28.5" Warmoth baritone conversion neck.

There is also that tele blackout baritone, play before you buy though, the neck was baseball bat city. 27"

Dommak89

Reaction score
Schecter has the Blackjack EX. 26.5" [...]

That's the thing. I'm looking for something between 25.5" and 27". I know it may sound weird, but I have small hands, and if it's not a fanned fret then 27" is a little too much for me. Yet I don't want to have strings to thick that they can be mistaken for a tree stub when I play in Drop B. So I wanted something in between.

Rorfin

ss.org Lurker
Reaction score
Having played 27" seven string for quite a while, I too was in search for a 26.5" sixer.

There really didn't seem to be many options for a 26.5" six stringer around and I eventually settled for an RGD320.
After a pickup change, I'm extremely happy with the guitar and find it very versatile.

I can say the difference between 26.5" and 27" is very minor, but going from 25.5" takes some time to adjust. I still prefer 25.5" for recording lead stuff, because the longer scale lenghts make bending notes "harder".

Dommak89

Reaction score
I know! I have a 7 String FF with 27"-"25.5" scale length and I like it a lot, but I noticed that playing in the first 3 or 4 frets on the lower strings is a lot harder with small hands.

I would love to have a 6 string fanned fret with something like 26.5-25" scale length or like the Boden CL7 a 26.25 to 25.5. I just dont have the funds right now.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
If you are playing in Drop B, I would say just stick with 25.5".

There just isn't much out there to choose from unless you go custom. That Schecter is pretty much it for 26.5", and Jackson makes a 26.5" 7 string (I wouldn't suggest it though, it's a bit low end).

You might want to build a custom string set, I know that with a balanced set, thicker strings are just easier to play (equal tension).

Jackley

LordJackley
Reaction score
I know they got discontinued, but Ibanez made 26.5" RGD 6 strings for a while, both in prestige and non-prestige versions. I can't remember the specific model numbers of the non-prestige ones but the prestige was the RGD2120Z if I remember correctly.

They pop up on here for sale every now and again, ebay sometimes has them and a handful of groups on facebook usually have one on there.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Schecter has a few 26.5" guitars. Some off the top of my head in current production this year: Blackjack SLS EX (one with active one with passive pups) and the KENNY HICKEY C-1 EX S

Vigaren

Reaction score
I would LOVE a 26" sixer. Or a FF 6-string with 25"-26". I dream of going custom in a year or two.

I am really happy with my Ibby RGD that features a 26.5". I would be totally down to get a RGD2120 (it's basically an six-string RGD with 26.5") but I would prefer it with an fixed bridge though.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I have the Schecter Blackjack EX. 26.5". It's a good guitar and a good option. As you said - there aren't many options out there.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
That's the thing. I'm looking for something between 25.5" and 27". I know it may sound weird, but I have small hands, and if it's not a fanned fret then 27" is a little too much for me. Yet I don't want to have strings to thick that they can be mistaken for a tree stub when I play in Drop B. So I wanted something in between.

Honestly that Schecter EX doesn't play that much different from my Schecter Banshee 25.5. I have really heavy strings on it so that is a little more work but if the strings were equal it wouldn't be a huge difference. I more notice more room higher up the neck which is kind of nice. I can still play reasonably fast with it with 13s on it. I may be biased - I think the new Schecter SLS necks are really comfortable to play.

Reaction score
The Yamaha Drop-6 features a 26" scale, I thought. If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find one used.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
To OP, there are some Ibanez rgd 6 strings on Ebay going for good prices.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
26.5 is between 25 and 27

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Yeah for drop b I'd stay 25.5 you shouldn't need crazy thick strings either. I'm currently looking for a 6er for c standard and dropped b and I'm probably going to go 25.5 so yeah. . . As far as baritones go I've played a few RGDs that I like (but if you don't vibe with then well. . . ) and a strictly 7 boa that was 27" scale and it didn't feel comfortable