"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I've been wondering for awhile- do any of you have a perfect guitar? I mean one where the frets are perfectly level, neck geometry on point, great string action with no buzz, predictable neck movement throughout the year, excellent hardware and setup? just nothing you'd improve upon?

I can't seem to find one. No matter what I buy, no matter how well the setup/remediation work by me or a legit luthier is, I always find a thing or two that isn't great in the end and it grates into me until it's all I can focus on.

I feel as though it's a me problem- letting the perfect get in the way of the good or whatnot. Annoying and expensive problem.

Is this just part of GAS or what?
Nah, over the years of going through so much gear, I eventually realized a perfect guitar does not exist. This is what made me shy away from super expensive guitars and really not buy/sell anymore like I used to.

All guitars, of any price range, will always have some sort of flaw or imperfection. I think after a while though, those imperfections are actually what I enjoy about all of my guitars I've owned. Something I wish my younger self understood before trading so much gear in the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Nah, over the years of going through so much gear, I eventually realized a perfect guitar does not exist. This is what made me shy away from super expensive guitars and really not buy/sell anymore like I used to.

All guitars, of any price range, will always have some sort of flaw or imperfection. I think after a while though, those imperfections are actually what I enjoy about all of my guitars I've owned. Something I wish my younger self understood before trading so much gear in the past.

This is the mentality I'd like to ease myself into. Thanks for weighing in.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood gearwhore
Reaction score
I've been wondering for awhile- do any of you have a perfect guitar? I mean one where the frets are perfectly level, neck geometry on point, great string action with no buzz, predictable neck movement throughout the year, excellent hardware and setup? just nothing you'd improve upon?

I can't seem to find one. No matter what I buy, no matter how well the setup/remediation work by me or a legit luthier is, I always find a thing or two that isn't great in the end and it grates into me until it's all I can focus on.

I feel as though it's a me problem- letting the perfect get in the way of the good or whatnot. Annoying and expensive problem.

Is this just part of GAS or what? I have a touch of mild obsessive compulsive so the lines are kinda blurred sometimes.
I have a couple of guitars I would actually consider "perfect" by your standards.
Aristides 060
USA Charvel star
Jackson WR7
EBMM JR7

While I may have nitpicks about the pickup choices in the 060 and JR7, they are fantastic guitars. The Charvel and WR7 are insanely good feeling and sounding (for my tastes).

I have plenty of other guitars that are excellent, but I wouldn't consider them perfect due to some tuning instability or minor fret buzz (such is the curse of super low action), or some minor blemish.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have a prs se mark holcomb svn? I'm not a PRS guy at all but I'm considering one. It's between that and a Prestige 7 of some flavor. A lot of prestige 7's seem to be 25.5" which I'm not crazy about.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

Is this just part of GAS or what? I have a touch of mild obsessive compulsive so the lines are kinda blurred sometimes.
I know it's not what you're asking, but I've come to a place where the "perfect" guitar is one I embrace despite and/or because of its quirks. I found a while back that having a relationship with an instrument was more important than specs. I tried for years to replace my old $200 Agile Bari LP with mid and higher-end guitars, but none of them were "my guitar," the one that had been through so much with me and had my literal blood and sweat caked up in it. That guitar is long gone, but I've currently got the best of both worlds, a guitar that has most of my desired specs, looks cool, plays well enough, and most importantly feels like it's mine.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I know it's not what you're asking, but I've come to a place where the "perfect" guitar is one I embrace despite and/or because of its quirks. I found a while back that having a relationship with an instrument was more important than specs. I tried for years to replace my old $200 Agile Bari LP with mid and higher-end guitars, but none of them were "my guitar," the one that had been through so much with me and had my literal blood and sweat caked up in it. That guitar is long gone, but I've currently got the best of both worlds, a guitar that has most of my desired specs, looks cool, plays well enough, and most importantly feels like it's mine.

Perfect answer honestly. Of all the guitars I have, only one feels like "mine" and I've had it forever, but it's a 24.75" scale 6 string and I primarily play 7s now. So I've been on the hunt for the right 7 for me for a couple years and haven't come up with it yet. Hoping it's soon.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I ordered a little 2x50W Bluetooth amplifier for my daughter a while ago, and the other day I came across a set of suitable speakers for the setup. They're Denver branded, probably came with some cd-player stereo package where the actual player broke. Bought them for 10€, and they absolutely do the trick, and the setup actually sounds pretty good!

So I ended up paying ~17€ for a full bluetooth stereo system, which is like, less than what one of those JBL mini speakers would've cost. And the amplifier also has a line in and USB, so you can plug almost anything into it - pretty nice, I'd say.

Now I've just got the wiring left to do. I'm gonna put a smart switch before the power supply and then connect a normal light switch to it, and then I'll mount all the parts in the ceiling. So then my daughter can use the physical switch to turn it on and off, and I can also turn it off remotely if it pisses me off :lol: And also she won't be able to adjust the volume (other than the phone's internal volume ofc), so I can limit that to a tolerable level. And then I ordered some wall mounting brackets for the speakers.

Another similar thing I'm planning on is to buy a 50's tube radio (broken ones are easy to find and cheap, with some luck the actual speaker elements might still be intact) and build a similar setup into it. That'll go in our bedroom then.
Thing is, those things usually have a lot of buttons, so I'd prefer to have them also do something. Maybe I'll install some RGB lights into it that can be controlled somehow using the buttons. Another idea would be to have the switches physically connect different usb drives to the amp - I gotta test whether it starts auto playing when connecting, because if it does, I could for example put some love making music on one stick and make one of the switches connect and disconnect that. It'll be really easy to do if it does indeed auto play, but otherwise it might be a bit tricky.

UPDATE: I tested and it works! You just plug a usb stick into it and it starts auto playing. So then I can just get a usb extension cable, cut it in half, connect all the individual wires through an on/off switch and then connect the stick to that.

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've started putting together some quick simple rockwool panels that I'm hoping can improve the awful sound of one of our jam rooms, and I had the thought:
How come nobody ever styles these panels to look like guitar cabs? It can't be that hard to do - just wrap the frame in tolex, and cover the insulation with grillcloth. Grillcloth is, I assume, meant to be pretty sound-transparent, and it would visually fit the theme of a music room.

neurosis

Reaction score
I always have a moment where I could swear Kerry King is wearing a skirt on stage. I don't know it's the lights, his frame, the leather and the V, or his stance. But it's just planted in my head that he performs in a skirt. Anybody else have this intrusive idea? :D

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always have a moment where I could swear Kerry King is wearing a skirt on stage. I don't know it's the lights, his frame, the leather and the V, or his stance. But it's just planted in my head that he performs in a skirt. Anybody else have this intrusive idea? :D
I've never noticed but I could see that... I think part of it is the chain

Screenshot_20240510_170529_Chrome.jpg

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Yes, I have definitely thought that at first glance on a lot of the live videos I've seen of him. He seems like such a tool that I always just thought "sure, why not?".

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Is this a bad time to announce my candidacy for God Emperor of the Realm? I was kind of counting on everyone's support whether they like it or not to shitbitch amongst themselves everywhere about it.

I am embracing the whole antichrist thing if it comes up, but as a victim.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I've started putting together some quick simple rockwool panels that I'm hoping can improve the awful sound of one of our jam rooms, and I had the thought:
How come nobody ever styles these panels to look like guitar cabs? It can't be that hard to do - just wrap the frame in tolex, and cover the insulation with grillcloth. Grillcloth is, I assume, meant to be pretty sound-transparent, and it would visually fit the theme of a music room.

Lots of places make custom ones with lots of options. Salt and pepper, variations of the same with creme/gold as well. Speaker cab cloth is typically double knit large fiber, and decently transparent to noise. I doubt it would act as well for a covering on sound deadening panels, but neither would a fabric which is not transparent enough. My panels are covered with what amounts to a thin layer of open cell foam FWIW.

Latest posts