412 vs 212

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply put, yes. Anywhere you play that a 2x12 isn't loud enough without putting a mic on the cab......should have a PA and you should be putting a mic on the cab lol.

Main differences:

4x12 is heavier and harder to load in and out of gigs.
4x12 moves a bit more air, and potentially has more bottom end depending on the cab.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
4x12 sounds no more different under a mic than a 2x12. However in a room there is a huge difference. 2x12 is punchier and more omni-present. It cuts more IMHO. However a 4x12 will mix better live with a full band while also sounding larger/bigger due to the larger cone area of sound reinforcement.

Generally 4x12's need decent spaces to take advantage of. 4x12's and small rooms dont mix well, no pun intended.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Until recently I owned the Mesa Rectifier 2x12 and Rectifier Oversize 4x12. They have the same Mesa V30s and are of equal width and depth, only the height and number of speakers are different.

Put simply -

The 4x12 sounds bigger, smoother, and looser.

The 2x12 sounds tighter, slightly more aggressive in the highs and crunchier.

For recording (a Roadster head) I actually preferred the 2x12. I found the 4x12 had way too much bass. In a live mix relying on the cab for your sound the 4x12 is supremely fun to play, but if you can raise up the 2x12 from firing at your ankles you will have no problems hearing it and it still has plenty of punch.

For my situation right now I do not enjoy 4x12s as I have to move my gear regularly. I thought about keeping the 4x12 at home but I prefer recording the 2x12, so I sold the 4x12.

I think every rock/metal guitarist should experience playing with 4x12s just because it is loads of fun, but it isn't totally necessary to have one to get a good tone.

My advice for a 2x12, assuming you're playing rock/metal, is to get a closed back cab which is as deep and wide as a 4x12. That way you will get plenty of punch and low end. So long as the speakers can handle the power output from your head you will be fine for volume IMO.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
I use an oversized 2x12 our other guitar player has a 4x12 I keep up just fine volume wise and our drummer has a ridiculously loud dw kit so we are forced to practice at crazy volumes

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm always drawn to 2x12 combos. :shrug: With that said, I have experienced the reason why we still have 100 watt tube heads running through 4x12 cabinets and that reason is called "fun." I will take the 2x12's and my friends can take the 4x12's and let me play through them from time to time. :cool:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
will the 212 be loud enough to play without mic'ing up?
IMO this is the biggest difference- that the question arises.

I think a nicely pushed 2x12 would be sufficient for most situations. Depends on how beast the drummer is and if you are the only guitarist, what your bassist is using (1x15 combo vs 4x10 vs 8x10, etc), PA support?, how "quality" your 2x12 is, how thick you want your tone in the air to be, etc.

I can't remember the last time- or if I have ever- seen a 2x12 at a local metal show. I always see 4x12's. I see the 2x12 in pics of peoples home studios more often than I do on stage.

Personally I enjoy smaller cabs and driving them hard. Just feels punchier.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I simply want to know the main differences between a 4x12 & 2x12 cabs.

will the 212 be loud enough to play without mic'ing up?

Absolutely loud enough. My main cab for the last few years was a Boogie vertical 2x12 Recto cab.

Tonally speaking, it had some advantages over the 4x12s I've had. Initially, you might notice the less enveloping bass response, but it's not that there is not enough bass response, just that it's tighter and the overall sound is more focused.

I actually run a 1x12 mini recto cab now and I doubt there would be a problem at a gig with that. Hell, the last Dream Theater tour had Petrucci running two 1x12s mic'd backstage.

The main advantage for smaller cabs for me is portability. It's easy to sling a 2x12 into any car.

Hell, my current rig I can actually just carry on my own in one go: guitar on my back, head in one hand and the cab in the other.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I actually run a 1x12 mini recto cab now and I doubt there would be a problem at a gig with that. Hell, the last Dream Theater tour had Petrucci running two 1x12s mic'd backstage.

Agreed, I run 2 1x12's these days. I've never once even considered i wouldn't have enough volume - mic'd at gigs / unmic'd at practice. I always have gobs of headroom to spare. If anything, i just have to worry about keeping the stage volume lower than i might sometimes prefer.

The other guitarist in our band always uses a 4x12. No issues keeping up with him.

wakjob

Reaction score
I really like the sound and convenience of 2x12's. And they are plenty loud enough, that's for sure.

But there's something sonically happening that's just unique and wonderful when four speakers are put in the same enclosure.

...there's nothing like a 4x12 when it's pushing a little bit of air.