4x12 cab, or 2x12 cab?

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
Im shure this has been posted before but i was asked a question that i dot know the answer to.

I was asked whether it would be better to own a 4x12 or 2x12, ive heard that it really doesnt make it louder, theres just more sound but would it be better to get a 600 dollar 2x12 or a 600 dollar 4x12?:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
i looked at the links on your post the first one never explained any really differences or advantages. the second one would not open. The guy needs something that has good bass for breakdowns and isnt too concerned with the mid range. treble im not sure about what he wants.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
What kinda $600 2x12 and 4x12 do u speak of? Or are u speaking hypothetically? I prefer a 4x12, not only do I like the way the sound spreads out more due to the extra speakers, but also the extra resonance and lower mids from cabinet being larger and having more air space. The extra air space also seems to make the highs and mids more focused and less spikey

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score
well hes looking at an orange 2x12, i have an orange 4x12, but ive never even heard their 2x12's and i think he was looking at a fender super sonic 4x12

Inazone

Reaction score
I like 2x12 cabs, but won't gig with them unless it's the vertical style and stable enough for an amp or rack case on top. I have a Mesa vertical 2x12 that is perfect for a shallow rack case containing my tube power amp and tuner, but I wouldn't trust a full-size head on it. In terms of sound, a slightly oversized 2x12 won't really sound a LOT different from a normal 4x12, assuming comparable materials and build quality. Then again, I'm talking about gigs where the cabs are miked and running through the PA mains, so if you were relying 100% on your stage sound to be heard, a 4x12 will get a bit "wider" coverage.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The difference between 212's and 412's:

212's obviously have a smaller soundboard. They are often more directional, the highs are often higher and more present, the lows tend to boom (as the frequency hump is a little higher) rather than thump and the mids are far less discreet. They're obviously lighter, they appear not to be as loud, but each speaker will operate at the same volume as those in a 412, the sound doesn't carry so much. People will generally say 212's are 'tighter'.

412's have a bigger soundboard, the highs are more restrained and they sparkle rather than sharp, the lows are lower and are often thought of as 'knocking', and the mid shifts down a bit. The whole cab will but much darker, louder, project more and I find they tend to have more of an even balance whereas 212's are more prone to EQ spikes. 412's are obviously heavier, and the sound carries more.

212's are more practical - they're easier to run your amp really hard because they carry less and have more direction (so the sound guy will like it too) and the bottom tends to track a bit better.
412's are bigger, heavier, and less easy to get really accurately into a mix, but I would say sound better (obviously just my view) because they're much more discreet, dark and balanced.

I had a Mesa 212 and a mesa oversized 412 and though the 212 was SOOOOO much easier, the 412 just sounded sooo much better that it was worth it. Now I just have the 412.

To throw a spanner in the works, I'm debating a Roadster 112 cab.....

Best answer therefore, both. Lol. Hope the info helps, I can't tell you which to get though.