5 String Bass songs

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So recently, after finally starting to get out of my musical funk, I’ve been playing Bass guitar quite a bit more. I recently purchased a used Ibanez BTB405QM as part of possibly trying out for a band, as well as for my own writing. I was trying to get some suggestions on some songs to work on to get a cell for having that low B there. Mostly Progressive Metal/Rock (Does Dream Theater have any tunes that Myung doesn’t really use the High C# for? Pain of Salvation uses 5 strings, right?) and Thrash, but open to other Rock/Metal, Funk, Jazz, Pop, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Insomnia

Needs more strings!
Reaction score
Not to be rude but...there are thousands upon thousands of songs that use the low B. That's like asking for songs in drop D.

If you're not limiting it to a specific genre then I don't really know where to begin with suggestions :p

Insomnia

Needs more strings!
Reaction score
'Themata' by Karnivool is fantastic. Stockman does have a high C /but as far as I remember/, he doesn't use it.

I also play 'Maggie's Farm' by RATM using the low B which sounds waaaayyyy better.

If you're willing to down tune, most Tesseract songs only go down to A# and A(some go down to G# though), and they're super fun.

iamaom

Reaction score
Intronaut - Australopithecus - Mainly the jazzy parts,around ~1:15 and ~2:30

A-Branger

Reaction score
(Does Dream Theater have any tunes that Myung doesn’t really use the High C# for?

lol like 80% of their music, plus another 10% that the high C stuff can be transposed to a higher part on the fretboard.

I have played DT all my life and even had a cover band of them at one point years ago. I play using a 5 string bass, for the songs I wanted to learn/play, I only encounter a couple of them that was impossible. All the toher ones you just play the high C stuff on the G string, but 5 frets higher. Weird fingering sometimes, or big jumps to go back to the original line, but it can be done. Stuff like the begining of Voices and Glass Prison. Only thing you miss too is stuff like the harmonics in Lifting Shadows of a Dream, but Meh

Heaps of songs there, go for it

Latest posts