5150 Iconic - New Budget 5150 from EVH Gear

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I’m hearing from an excellent source that EVH is trying to get all the details on the transformers Peavey uses in the 6505. Additionally they seem to be looking to move manufacturing from Mexico to China and digging into using the same manufacturing chain as Peavey does for the 6505.

It sounds as if, now that James Brown is on staff, they’re pushing him to make basically their own “OG” 5150.

I’m not sure what to make of all that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Sounds like walking a legal tightrope if that’s true

Maybe. I wonder what patents apply to the 6505/5150. I believe resonance is patented. I guess companies are supposed to have to license that or something? Not sure how that works but so many companies use it these days.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m hearing from an excellent source that EVH is trying to get all the details on the transformers Peavey uses in the 6505. Additionally they seem to be looking to move manufacturing from Mexico to China and digging into using the same manufacturing chain as Peavey does for the 6505.

It sounds as if, now that James Brown is on staff, they’re pushing him to make basically their own “OG” 5150.

Hmmm Peavey's components aren't known to be of great quality so I wonder if that is a downgrade rather than an upgrade. The production to China probably is, though. I've heard zero complaints about the 5150 III since they moved the production line to México.

tedtan

Reaction score
Maybe. I wonder what patents apply to the 6505/5150. I believe resonance is patented. I guess companies are supposed to have to license that or something? Not sure how that works but so many companies use it these days.

Patents generally only last between 7 and 21 years, depending on the specific type, so I doubt there are any patents in play at this point.

Necky379

Reaction score
The biggest criticism I hear about the OT is that Peavey had the mounting plate spot welded to the bottom. I guess that’s a huge no no but James didn’t seem to care during an interview I watched were it came up. The PT is actually the same as what was in the 160 watt Roadmaster.

If they bring out some sort of a reissue I’d be all for it. Add a switch to bounce between OG and II circuits, a bias adjustment that can go from stock crossover distortion to hot and everywhere in between, don’t rivet the power tube sockets to the board, upgrade the screen grid resistors and don’t put them under the tube sockets for starters.

Mathemagician

Reaction score

So I should buy a 5153 Stealth now instead of waiting is what I’m hearing?

BenjaminW

Reaction score
If you've been waiting for anything EVH related to come off of back order and this the only/one of the few thing(s) that's in stock, I'd say buy it now because I feel like it's smarter to cash in now at the golden opportunity in front of you instead of letting is pass by and you're waiting for weeks/months again for something new.

I bought my Wolfgang as soon as I saw it was still in stock, and there's no looking back for me. Sure, I would've loved to buy a Striped Series or an Axis, but I'm better off being happy with what I have instead of complaining about a rare-ish opportunity to get an EVH guitar/amp/whatever not too long after his death.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

In hindsight I should have kept the tower of power I had here with the 100, 100S, and 100S EL34 :lol:

and most of them, they're just checking boxes to release Something Different without ever stopping to make sure what they're putting out is actually good

Can't comment on the 50s, but if you can't get a decent tone out of the current 100w versions the problem isn't the amp...

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
In hindsight I should have kept the tower of power I had here with the 100, 100S, and 100S EL34 :lol:

Can't comment on the 50s, but if you can't get a decent tone out of the current 100w versions the problem isn't the amp...

I've only bought 50s myself, always sell em on after just a couple months. The Stealth and EL34 100 watter ain't so hot either. The original 100 watt is far and away the best one.. but even then. You hear a lot of people saying Rectos are fizz machines, and you gotta wonder if they've ever really listened to a 5153 red channel. They're the all time fizz champs.

The price point is also far, far too high. Made in USA JP2C for $3,700 or a 5150-3 Stealth for $3,400... no contest

BadSeed

Reaction score
I've only bought 50s myself, always sell em on after just a couple months. The Stealth and EL34 100 watter ain't so hot either. The original 100 watt is far and away the best one.. but even then. You hear a lot of people saying Rectos are fizz machines, and you gotta wonder if they've ever really listened to a 5153 red channel. They're the all time fizz champs.

The price point is also far, far too high. Made in USA JP2C for $3,700 or a 5150-3 Stealth for $3,400... no contest

The 6L6 stealth is only $2,200 New. And at any price point, I'd take the 5150 over the Mesa. Sounds like you're just not a 5150 fan in general, and that's fine.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The 6L6 stealth is only $2,200 New. And at any price point, I'd take the 5150 over the Mesa. Sounds like you're just not a 5150 fan in general, and that's fine.

<- Canada

the fizz that makes a 5153 sound shite by itself makes it sit in a mix great so it's all application dependent

Matt08642

Reaction score
Sounds like walking a legal tightrope if that’s true

I don't think Peavey is financially capable to defend much of this in court. FMIC could probably just keep them in court long enough to bankrupt them with legal fees and wasting time. That would be a shitty asshole maneuver, but something to keep in mind.

and most of them, they're just checking boxes to release Something Different without ever stopping to make sure what they're putting out is actually good

In fairness, this kind of thing is what happens when companies keep their finger on the pulse re: forums and people who buy stuff. Before the 5150 EL34 came out, I saw posts everywhere begging for one to be released and then once it was released it's sold like hotcakes

This as well - It always astonishes me when someone says a 5150 EL34 or something sounds like shit when they aren't even using the speakers it was designed to work with (This is the optimistic side of me. I like to believe Ed OKd the amp which would be good enough for me, but I know it's likely they might not have involved him since he had been playing the Stealths for years)