54 gauge for a low B, am I finally losing it...

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Over the years I've learned that that thinner is better, to a point. I play Les Pauls, and although I peaked with 13-56, once I'd calmed down I settled on using 11-48 in Eb.

Years later I picked up the wrong pack of strings and ended up with 10-46 and discovered a new searing sound on the high strings that I'd never had before. Next string change I went back to 11s, lost the sear, and went back to 10s, which I've stuck with ever since.

I've tried 9s, but they're too thin for my tastes. Yeah, they have more overtones, but for my taste they're loosing too much fundamental at that point.

I had the same thing with picks. I used to use 1.14, peaked with 3mm, ran through a period of Jazz IIIs, then settled back with 1.14. Years ago I picked up a pick tin because I wanted the tin and planned on throwing away the picks (equivalent to a Fender medium), but the picks sounded great. The more flexible pick meant I had to develop a lighter touch, and that lighter touch gave me a better tone. I'm mostly using a .73, although I do prefer an .88 for downstroke rhythm.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I never get players who are like; "I use 74 for my low B to make it sound super choked and muddy". For example I use 10-52's for drop C. Low C could have little bit more tension, but that's where I settled with strings and down tuning. For compensating scale length or tuning I try to match string gauge to somewhere around there it to be similar.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I learned that from mostly being a bassist for nearing 30 years... Thick strings lose definition and get woofy. I never cared for it on bass so I figured guitar would be the same.

I think bass typically being cleaner than guitar makes certain things stand out more.... things like string gauge, overtones and pick choice aren't covered up with distortion.

I thought it was weird for awhile that I was using a thinner pick on bass, but I wanted more edge to dig into the string windings and thicker picks lacked that. Something that's more audible with a relatively clean tone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I'm with the others on 10-52 in D standard and drop C. It's a bit much for my 7 in drop A, but I don't wanna jump from a 46 to a 68 or 70 to keep tension on the low A. I need to try a 64 again. All those years I was buying the 8 string pack and not using those, lol. I should have a stockpile but who knows where they went.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought it was weird for awhile that I was using a thinner pick on bass, but I wanted more edge to dig into the string windings and thicker picks lacked that. Something that's more audible with a relatively clean tone.
Agreed on thinner picks for bass. Too thick and it's just a weird dull sound.

99% of the time I use these for bass:
Screenshot_20230609_122952_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I gigged with these for a long time, but don't use them as much anymore:
Screenshot_20230609_123028_DuckDuckGo.jpg

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
When I was a kid and wanted drop c on my 6 string people were like "k you need a 68"
Jokes on them I put 68s in G# now
It's "slim thick"
I think I'm taking the string tension calculator too seriously. That being said, anything is more comfortable than the EB 8 string set (without the 8th string, in drop G on a 7 string). Between that string set, NOT keeping my wrist neutral, and some other stuff I now have left side issues. I am old now

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
12-60 is probably my most hated string gauge. No matter how many chances I've given them the lower strings sound like shit, chords sound out of tune, they start sounding dull really fast...
I ran this on an se cu24, ltd mh1000 and most recently my s2 sc. 10+ year difference between when i had the ltd versus the s2 restring. 20s me liked it, 30s me doesnt have that technique anymore :lol:

gasolinedreams

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently got my first 7 and it had a 10-56 set on it in standard. I could barely play the B string. Probably just my technique that sucks but when strings are that floppy it feels like the pick sort of gets stuck on the string when trying to play fast. Switched to a 64 on the B string and it feels a lot better now, to me.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I've been rocking 10-56 for 7-strings with a 26.5" scale for quite a while now, so that feels like home to me. For the sake of experimentation I've tried buying a couple of 10-59 sets. Couldn't imagine getting lighter though. I like some tension.

Chad

Reaction score
Yep, I’ve been tuning the low string to B since the mid to late 90s. 52 or 54 works fine. Maybe a 56 or 59 if that same string gets tuned to A some of the time. It just depends on how much attack and how controlled your playing is. But I’ve never liked overly heavy strings.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been rocking 9.5s in standard lately. 9s are a bit too "plinky" sounding on the high strings + I like the slight bit of extra tension on the low end since I pick a bit hard. Lightened up the gauge a little bit to force myself to actually learn how to play. Thinking about switching my other guitars over to equivalent tension since it feels like a perfect medium between 9s and 10s. (Wow, 9.5s are in between 9s and 10s, go figure.)

Worth noting though that my standard tuned guitar is a Strat, so that might be some of the "plink" sound.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been rocking 9.5s in standard lately. 9s are a bit too "plinky" sounding on the high strings + I like the slight bit of extra tension on the low end since I pick a bit hard. Lightened up the gauge a little bit to force myself to actually learn how to play. Thinking about switching my other guitars over to equivalent tension since it feels like a perfect medium between 9s and 10s. (Wow, 9.5s are in between 9s and 10s, go figure.)

Worth noting though that my standard tuned guitar is a Strat, so that might be some of the "plink" sound.
Plink is from setup and technique, not so much the gauge imo. I have been learning how to set up my own strat and have been working on a plinky spot myself.

Depending on the 9-5 set its a little lighter on the top two or 3 strings and the wounds are the same as 10-46. I thought i would find 9.5-44 but there was 9.5-46 or 9-42 at my store at the time lol.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I've been using .011-.049s on my 6 string (B standard, 25.5" scale) and I'm pretty happy about it.

I also use .009s for my E and D standard guitars.

Use what you like.

trem licking

Reaction score
custom progressive tension 7s on 25.5-30" scale lengths. Light is best

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I always hated referring to the high string as the reference for the set, never made sense to me. 9's? 9 to what? 9-42 or 9-49, that's a major difference. 10-46 or 10-52? Again, a hell of a difference. Back in "the day" I guess it always meant 9-42 or 10-46, but I never really used those sets or knew anybody that did. But Ohio is weird.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always hated referring to the high string as the reference for the set, never made sense to me. 9's? 9 to what? 9-42 or 9-49, that's a major difference. 10-46 or 10-52? Again, a hell of a difference. Back in "the day" I guess it always meant 9-42 or 10-46, but I never really used those sets or knew anybody that did. But Ohio is weird.
And if I said 11-54, no one would know what the 4 other strings are. I just have to list all 6 when referencing my set: 54 38 28 20w 15 11.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I used to like 11-54. The gauges vary so wildly, you're right. But in my ole drop C metal band I was the guy that played most of the cleans. Hated the 22 (or 24in the 12-56 set) that came as a G cause it was so dull and lifeless. There was a D Addario set I would always snag but rarely saw. 11-15-19-30-42-54 was the best compromise. I'm all NYXL now cause I'm a lazy caveman that changes his strings 3-4 times a year, I should see if they come in that.