7-string explorer project

Serratus

Reaction score
Just a rubbish phone picture, but you get the idea. I've just roughly cut the body out so I thought I'd share!! It's mahogany, explorer shaped, 7-string, maple Carvin neck with an ebony board, and I'm gonna get Tim at Bareknuckle pickups to re-wind the single coils to a Sinner bridge and Trilogy suite neck (just about the hottest single coils on the planet). More pics as I get more done!!

DSC00579net.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Serratus

Reaction score
Re: finish, I think I'm gonna stain it red and then oil and wax it (I'm such a sucker for oiled finishes!).
And every guitar I've ever had has had a humbucker in the bridge, I've never found a use for a single coil there, but the Bareknuckle sinner is a really hot single coil (21k) and I've heard a few soundclips of it that almost sound like a bucker but with some single-coil character, so I thought I'd give it a go (although I can still see me routing it for a bucker in a few months if i'm not happy with it!!).

Ruins

Reaction score
i am curious to hear some sound samples of that baby when she is done.
looking great so far

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I have a carvin NT7 blank that is suppose to become an explorer-like shape.. but its difficult so far.. but hopefully someday, I'll have something similar.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Really cool, but why 2 single coils? A bucker in the bridge and a single in the neck would have been much better IMO.

Serratus

Reaction score
I have a carvin NT7 blank that is suppose to become an explorer-like shape.. but its difficult so far.. but hopefully someday, I'll have something similar.

The neck for this was an NT7, but the through neck bit wasn't long enough to get to the end of the body, so I've cut it down to make it a set neck instead.
And yellowv, you may be right - as per my previous post I'm trying the BKP Sinner single coil in the bridge but I may go to a humbucker in the future if I can't get on with a single at the bridge. I'm tempted to do a full scallop on the neck aswell but I'm not sure yet (then it'd have that malmsteen feel all over (apart from not being strat-shaped lol)).

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks awesome. I was thinking about an explorer-esque custom, but thanks to my utter lack of skill when it comes to working with my hands, I'll have to pay someone else to do it, which blows as I'm broke :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product though!

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
:yesway: thats fuckin cool as hell, though the paradox of that statement is bewilldering:nuts:

Non-paradoxical if it's the original description of Hel (spelling intentional). Cold, dank, grey, miserable and depressing; a bit like Milton Keynes really. :lol:

Anyhow moving swiftly back on topic. Still not too sure about two single coils in an explorer style body (aesthetically there just seems to be too much of an expanse of wood). However I'd love to hear the results of this experiment.

Kudos to the OP for trying something different.:yesway:

Josh Lawson

Banned
Reaction score
Single coils? So weird, it just might work!! I'm sure that 60 cycle hum will never feel so good!