7 String Noob

VA64

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to seven string guitars and am looking for some advice on buying my first seven string. :p

I wanted to started playing some technical death metal, progressive metal and maybe even some djent (judge me if you want).

I was looking for an ESP LTD or Ibanez guitar because I like the specs on those guitars (stock pickups are usually EMG's or Seymour Duncan's on the nicer models) they have nice, thin neck radius', and they bodies are made of nice woods like basswood and mahogany, and they look very nice.

I was planning on tuning to standard 7 string tuning, Drop A and Drop G.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.^^
I hope someone can help. c:

Stay Metal. \m/

stevexc

Reaction score
You'll have more success tuning to Drop G on a 26.5" scale... but then again, Whitechapel does it on 25.5"s and they've got signature ESPs.

Personally I prefer ESP/LTD to Ibanez, but Ibanez does have some excellent instruments.
What's your price range, and do you have any spec preferences (hardtail vs trem, fretboard wood, etc)?

As an aside, Schecter's making some damn tasty 7s these days - the KM-7 and JL-7 might be up your alley, or anything with the SLS neck.

Oh, also neck THICKNESS and neck (actually fretboard) RADIUS are two unrelated things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heero22

Reaction score
I have to say that both ESP and Schecter use the same neck profiles for their guitars, however it is vastly different from an Ibanez neck. The ESP "thin C" type neck on their 7-strings are really more of a "D" profile and are nice comfortable chuck to have in your hand. The Ibanez it really thin and more shallow in its carve.

I think the main question when it comes to this is do you want a trem system or a hardtail bridge (however switching tunings on a trem system is a long task). And you really don't need to worry going to drop-G on a 25.5" scale 7, since its essentially the same tension that a normal 6 string would be in drop-C, you may need to buy .011 string sets (or higher) so the tension doesn't cause string buzzing. Drop-A on a 7 you really don't need to worry about.

At the price point your asking for, look at Ibanez and Schecter, most ESP/LTD 7's start in the $600 range. I would also recommend buying used if money is a large issue.

stevexc

Reaction score
I have to say that both ESP and Schecter use the same neck profiles for their guitars, however it is vastly different from an Ibanez neck.

I find Schecters to feel a tad thicker, but still within my comfort range. 100% agree that Ibanez is just sliiiiightly thinner ;)

OP, you're gonna either have to get a lower-end new guitar (MH-337, Ibanez 7420/1, Shecter Damien/Damien Elite are your main options) or go used. You can pretty easily get a Schecter Hellraiser C7 for under $500 used, or a MIJ Ibanez 7420/1 or 7620/1 (I think) around there too. Keep your eyes open for any used 1000-level LTDs (the H-1007 is awesome) or an MH-417 too.

If you wanna go a little higher, the new Chapman 7s are gonna start becoming available pretty soon, they're around $700 and have great reviews - you do sacrifice some aesthetics for the price though, they're very simple looking.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
For $600 at most, I'd go with the RGD7421. Comes stock with decent pickups (with large enough routes to fit any nice passive pickup you desire), a solid bridge, basswood body, decent tuners (if the but is cut properly), 26.5" scale length and it looks metal as fu*k.

And with that fixed bridge, you can jump between tunings.

I'd recommend an .11-.50 set with a low .66.

It'll be a bit tight in Drop A and a bit loose for Drop G but its about the best middle ground you can get. It'll be very playable in both tunings.

Of course, I suggest buying the guitar used so you can immediately get pickups, tuners and a new nut. Then you have a MONSTER guitar for a great price!

AKan

Reaction score
If you are comfortable buying used, I would definitely recommend an Ibanez RG-7620. I've got one in drop g and it sounds incredible. You could probably pick one up in that price range.

FalseConcept

Reaction score
An ESP guitar you can get for a pretty reasonable price (200-300) that is pretty good is a ESP H-207. That's what I use, and I was able to nab one for 150 dollars. With the strings at 10-68 it should be able to do B-standard and Drop A and G without any trouble. The neck isn't that thick either, in my opinion.

Latest posts