7-string semi-hollow baritone options?

jorymil

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I wanted to see if I liked the seven-string world, so I started out with an inexpensive Jackson to test the waters. Now that I know I like it, I'd like to get a semi-hollow. Does anyone know what options are out there for such a beast? I saw an Agile AS-1000 727 sell on eBay a couple of months ago, but surely there's other stuff? I suspect most options would have to be customs or semi-customs.

Under $2k:
* Agile AS-1000
* Halo BLH
* Kiesel?
* Jericho?
* Miami Vintage?

Over $2k:
Heritage, D'Angelico, Novax, Eastman, Peerless, etc.

I've e-mailed with Kurt over at Rondo, and he's said there's not much demand for 7-string AS-1000s. Of course, if anyone has a 7-string AS-1000 they'd like to sell me....

John

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Are you making a distinction between a chambered solidbody and a true ES-type semi-hollow? If so, I think Rondo and Halo are your only budget options for the latter, although ESP has a semi-hollow 7-string model.

jorymil

Reaction score
Definitely looking for an ES-type semi-hollow, rather than a chambered solid-body. I'm a huge jazz fan, and I'd like to have a super-versatile guitar for jazz, blues, classic rock, etc.

If I had to do a chambered solid-body, I'd do something like Carvin's HH2 (if they do a seven-string version).

John

jorymil

Reaction score
Another option: does anyone know if it'd be possible to retrofit a baritone-scale neck to a short/regular scale jazzbox? I've seen a couple of Ibanez AFJ957s used for under $500 lately; it'd be a pretty high-quality instrument for the money.

jorymil

Reaction score
That makes sense--the bridge would need to be moved back correspondingly. Possibly not a huge deal, but on an archtop, I could see where the bridge radius would need to be changed as well. And the AFJ957 has a wooden bridge, so the intonation is pretty well fixed--you've gotta be spot-on. Not like a flat-top solid-body!

No... probably not going this route!

John

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
It'd be ok to just "add a fret" to the end of the neck, for a 24.75" inch scale guitar ends up with something just over 26". But that's a lot of work to get the old neck off and build an entirely new neck.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Definitely looking for an ES-type semi-hollow, rather than a chambered solid-body
John

Some time back I emailed Jason at DrumCityGuitarLand with a "wish list" of Schecter Diamonds that included a promise to buy on each. I've bought three guitars from DrumCityGuitarLand and two guitars that I asked for and eventually had a chance to buy from Carvin [DC7X] so it was not an empty promise.
That list included a semi-hollow 7 string like the Corsair.

All 7 string, all ERG. Anyone who has watched the Chapman World Musical videos knows Mr. Song could program the 26.5 scale and extra string EZ

Prowler II [said interesting. That is the one I want most. The Lacewood top one from NAMM was stunning]
E-7 [which we all now know is happening] <- I'll buy one of the production models, hoping for the Purple Limited Editions 6's being offered as an ERG 7
V-7 [while I'd love this from Schecter I could very easily live with a 27" scale ESP Arrow seven string if that becomes available]
Wes Haunch Sig spec'd Tele [may happen][ I guarantee Mr. Song at World Musical could program the 26.5 scale changes in a matter of minutes]
Corsair 7 Semi Hollow [said interesting]

Honestly I was surprised at the less than I expected number of guitars Jason said he would have to order to have these "specials" made. Perhaps if anyone interested in any of the above want to get together for a "group build" offer to Jason we could get her done:yesway:
They would all be way under $2000 as Diamond Series or Limited Editions.

celticelk

Reaction score
If I had to do a chambered solid-body, I'd do something like Carvin's HH2 (if they do a seven-string version).

They don't, because it's Holdsworth's signature and Holdsworth doesn't play 7s, but the headless Vader has an option for a chambered body, I believe.

celticelk

Reaction score
That list included a semi-hollow 7 string like the Corsair.

All 7 string, all ERG. Anyone who has watched the Chapman World Musical videos knows Mr. Song could program the 26.5 scale and extra string EZ

Honestly I was surprised at the less than I expected number of guitars Jason said he would have to order to have these "specials" made. Perhaps if anyone interested in any of the above want to get together for a "group build" offer to Jason we could get her done :yesway:
They would all be way under $2000 as Diamond Series or Limited Editions.

Y'know, I might be able to stomach a 26.5" Corsair 7, depending on the other specs.

squids

Reaction score
robby and cameron from the contortionist both have ES-style semihollow ibanez 7 strings. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...st-afj957-7-string-hollowbody-electric-guitar
theres also a few clips of robby/cameron playing them, so you can kind of see what they sound like. they tune down a half step, so maybe baritone isn't needed? i guess it's really up to the OP but the one i played at guitar center really felt like a high quality instrument, nice woods and the pickups are pretty good for jazzy tones.

theres also this if you're feeling like droppin maaaaaad dolla bills y'all
https://reverb.com/item/1010780-may...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CL-t-fSArs8CFU6Sfgod37AGWQ

edit; added more info

Last edited:

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Y'know, I might be able to stomach a 26.5" Corsair 7, depending on the other specs.

Well, that would make three of us maybe :cool:

What spec's would you like on something like a 26.5 scale 7 string Corsair?

Jason said he needs to order between 12 - 24 guitars for a special edition run. I offered to invest the cash for 6 of 12 units with no payback to me until the guitars are sold and me making no profit, just paid back for my investment. He didn't address that offer as he likely doesn't need the help :lol:

That said I felt he would do a special run if he knew they would sell, hence my interest in anyone else wanting to do a group buy with DCGL. I fully trust Jason and DrumCityGuitarLand as I have done business with them over the years and have always been taken care of. And I'm nobody :eek:

celticelk

Reaction score
robby and cameron from the contortionist both have ES-style semihollow ibanez 7 strings. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...st-afj957-7-string-hollowbody-electric-guitar
theres also a few clips of robby/cameron playing them, so you can kind of see what they sound like. they tune down a half step, so maybe baritone isn't needed? i guess it's really up to the OP but the one i played at guitar center really felt like a high quality instrument, nice woods and the pickups are pretty good for jazzy tones.

theres also this if you're feeling like droppin maaaaaad dolla bills y'all
https://reverb.com/item/1010780-may...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CL-t-fSArs8CFU6Sfgod37AGWQ

edit; added more info

That Ibanez model isn't a semihollow- it's a fully-hollow jazzbox. The bridge/tailpiece combination is a giveaway: there's no internal block to fasten a TOM to, so it uses a surface-mount bridge and a tailpiece.

jorymil

Reaction score
Well, that would make three of us maybe :cool:

What spec's would you like on something like a 26.5 scale 7 string Corsair?

I'd actually be most interested with the regular Corsair specs, but with a 26.5 or 27 scale length (Schecter seems to do the former). I have my own pickups I could throw in, and the defaults would keep costs low.

No promises yet, however: it'd be a few months before I'm ready to purchase anything.

jorymil

Reaction score

I am a jazz buff, and I'm highly tempted by a used 957. Scale length is pretty short, though, so I doubt I could go much lower than A standard unless I wanted to use bass strings like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hh9eQDLTWg

The catch here is that he's not using the stock bridge, so I'm curious how difficult it was to swap it out. I'd hate to plunk down $500 or $600 only to find out that I needed to get a new bridge to downtune past A. A is _almost_ low enough, but having a low G for the bass of "All Blues" would be nice. Once I've played my solidbody for a few months, I'll have a better idea of what I'd like. I really can't see going too short on the scale length, though: the whole point is to give those bass notes some real body.

Last edited:

celticelk

Reaction score
I'd actually be most interested with the regular Corsair specs, but with a 26.5 or 27 scale length (Schecter seems to do the former). I have my own pickups I could throw in, and the defaults would keep costs low.

Pretty much the same here. I'd prefer a bound fretboard, but it's not a deal-breaker. (I'll insist on inlays, but I could be fine with dots or blocks.) Maple body, mahogany neck, ebony board, 2V/2T/3way...yeah, that all sounds fine.