7 String Tuning question

• Thread starter 7seven7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skyclad

Reaction score
I've got 24 frets on my Washburn WG-587V, so I've got 4 full octaves on it. Note a single note more. Just 4 octaves. From lower D to D.

Casual 6-string guitar have the same range - 4 octaves (for 24 fret guitar) I guess. Main issue here - NOT a range, BUT tuning. Spanish guitar have minor key E (AmI right?) tuning on open strings, while Russian 7-string have G- major key tuning for open strings. After all, D-G-B-D-G-B-D tuning for russian 7-string was invented specially for arpeggios, since it have adopted for 7-string guitar harp tuning. Arpeggios means "like harp", by the way. So it is just perfect for arpeggios,and it is very different from 6-string spanish guitar instrument. 200 years old, though. With DIFFERENT chords. I have school with more than 1000 chords for russian 7-string. More than enough for me.

But if you need wider (than Spanish guitar) range, it is different. You may use 3 different guitars - bariton 7-string-one (for example), very-low tuned, standard 6- string guitar + 5 or 6-string bass guitar. All these instrumens in band will cover very wide musical range.

p.s. Or you can use alternative tunings for Russian 7-string guitar. It still would be G-major key tuned instrument, BUT with wider range. You can tune CG (7th & 6Th strings), or EA, or EG.

skyclad

Reaction score
Found some interesting info about 7-string. First school for 7-string guitar published in St.-Petersburg, Russia in 1798. December, 15 to be precise. This school belongs to Ignatz Geld (1766, Chezh Republic - 1816, Russia). It seems impossible to find some published schools for 7-string guitar, published before year 1798.

So I can say that 7-string guitar birthsday - 12.15.1798. Anyway, 7-string guitar appeared during the second half of XVIII century.

skyclad

Reaction score
Foud another tuning for 7-string. While standard russian tuning - D-G-B-D-G-B-D is major keytuning on open strings (and it has 7 open strings creating a chord, while spanish 6-string guitar has only 4 open strings creating a chord),the other tuning is quite rare and it is minor key- D-G-C-D-G-A#-D, thought it is just a variation of standard Russian 7-string tuning.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
By the way, you're all wrong about Mike Mushok :D

He tunes Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb. That low string is definitely an Ab. It's possible sometimes he tunes the Bb tuning as well, but every song I ever heard from them it was in that kind of tuning. I'm not a fan, but I did dig a few of their riffs back in the day.

EDIT: Nevermind I think someone eluded to this already, oops :)

mike used Bb tuning in the tormented album and most of dysfunction, except for a song called! A flat lol. It was break the cycle that was all A flat though. Mushok is a kick ass guitarist, his riffs are sexual!

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember seeing one of Mushok's Guitar World columns where he mentioned some song being in Ab Eb Bb Db Gb Bb, from memory the others included drop-B, drop-Bb, drop A/D down half a step, and in the songs written by singery-AIC-wannabe-type-guy being in drop-D, Eb and DADGAD.

Personally, I stick to standard tuning or occasionally a step down. For some reason I can quite easily negotiate drop-D and the like on a six-string but give me a seven-string in drop-A and I'm useless, go figure.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think Aaron Lewis and Mike Mushok are talented. I think Aaron has a good voice and Mike is a good player. I just find 95% of their songs pretty ho-hum. They do have some catchy ones now and then, I just think that band as a whole, is a lot of wasted potential.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Regor said:
Acceptable? Shit dude, it's your guitar. Tune it however the hell you want. Look at Mike Mushok from Staind. He's got the most F'd-up tuning I've ever heard of, and he's in a hugely successful band. Do what you want is what I say.

Speaking of which, I wonder how tuning ADADGBE would work.

I use that tuning and Ab Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb both tunings are fun in my opinion it's just Drop D then with the Low A its just power chords or whatever you want to do with the low A.

Chill 02

Reaction score
Regor said:
Speaking of which, I wonder how tuning ADADGBE would work.

I use that tuning every now and then and it's quite handy. Hell, I've also used CCGCFAD and G#C#G#C#F#A#D#.

danx

Reaction score
i like standard tuning 1 step down.
Don't really use drop tuning anymore, as i find i have to jump about quite abit when playing single note heavy stuff, and alot of the chords i like are hard to reach.

Latest posts