7's with hefty necks

• Thread starter Arctodus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score
So yeah I've been searching for a 7 with a somewhat beefy neck. So far all the ones I've ever tried I have not be satisfied with. Yeah I thumb a 7 string, hence my forum name.

RG7321 - way to flat on the back for my hand
Squier 7 - Too skimpy
Ibanex AX 7521 and 7221 - nice shape but was not enough meat
Peavey 7 - Too skimpy again
RC7 - I don't even need to try that I already know its cardboard thin with
carbon rods in it
Samick 7 - too skinny
Cort 7 - same as RG7321

I know schecters have somewhat hunk necks as I've played the cheapy omen models at GC. I probably will end up with one of those but I was curious to know of the Jackson 7's and any other one I may not know about, also wanted to know if the original Ibby 7's where less flat in the back (7620/7420).
Thanks for any input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score
Never tried it, don't really like the looks of the SC model to be honest. I play in standard tuning .

Pirelli

Reaction score
Just get a schecter, I'm sure their louisville slugger style necks will be to your taste.

Agreed. After playing a Loomis, it definitely seems to match what you're after.

Also the old Ibanez have flatter necks than the new ones, not the other way around...

I_infect

Reaction score
Dean Avalanche 7. Usually cheap too... heftiest I've played. Otherwise older Schecters are thicker than the newer ones.

heffergm

Reaction score
Try a Carvin DC727. It's definitely not thin. Whether it qualifies as beefy depends on what you're used to.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter, ESP/LTD, Agile, Jackson... Any of those should keep you happy.

ghoti

Electric Eclectic
Reaction score
Agile's are kind of funny I guess. My bolt-on Interceptor doesn't have as much heft to it as the Hornet.

The only 7 I've ever played that was thicker than my Schecters was a Giannini classical 7.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Get one of the set-neck or neck-thru models from Schecter or Agile, IMO. The Bolt-ons I have seen tend to be thinner.

BurialWithin

NAM SAND!!
Reaction score
Dude i would say schecter i've played about 3 or 4 of them and the necks are all like redwoods cut in half!!!! I own a 7621 and a 7620 and they feel flatter and thinner than the new ones definitely . If you didn't like the 7321 you won't like the older ones

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score
thanks for the input. Probably will end up with a schecter. There are still many more 7's that I'm curious to know, like the aria 7 and agile texan coming out this year, not to mention summer NAMM may debut more goodies . I don't have an electric guitar at the moment and its driving me nuts more and more everyday :wallbash:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter and Carvin are 2 different variations on bigger necks. they are by no means huge! but they have more beef to them then the SC607B and ibby's. Also if you can test out a Dean EVO 7, do it - my favourite neck out of a shaved UV, C7's, Loomis, SC607B, JP7, Carvin DC727 :) - i play a gibbo LP studio primarily tho.

FWIW, i found the SC607 to have a really thin neck.