8 String BKP's

• Thread starter teqnick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
I'm debating which bkp's to put in my rg2228. Clearly the coldsweats are the go-to can't go wrong choice, but I am interested in a nailbomb bridge and warpig neck. I really do wonder what this combo would sound like. I enjoy sculpting my own sort of tone and i don't plan on playing typical meshuggah grooves, but rather mixing my influences together to create some heavy shit.

SO basically.

Cold sweat set for sure
Experiment with The Warpig(N) and Nailbomb(B)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't combine the Nailbomb bridge with the Warpig neck - the latter will absolutely dominate in volume. On top of that, the dark nature of the Warpig neck often makes for difficulties in dialling in tones that suit both positions when you're not matching it with a dark bridge pickup. You could consider going for a set of Warpigs, if you're after a very fat and grindy tone.

The Cold Sweats are a million miles away from the Warpigs. By comparison they are very lean and clear sounding, with masses of extra presence and less low end. They are a great choice for an 8 because of how defined and the clear they are across the range.

I've not tried the Nailbomb in an 8 string, but I feel you might want to check out the Rebel Yell instead. It's a kindred spirit in terms of voicing, but is clearer and more open, with a tighter low end and smoother treble. It could pair up nicely with the Cold Sweat neck if you want a modern neck tone, or alternatively the VHII neck makes for a great combination, offering a more classic, juicer tone that still slays under gain.

If you have more details about the kind of tones you're looking for it would make it easier to give a specific recommendation :)

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I too am looking into this, but for my Schecter. Its made of mahogany, so the tonal qualities are different.

I have a Miracle Man in my 7 string and I love it. I might just get one for the 8 string.

teqnick

Reaction score
Thanks, Nolly. I'd say specifically the After the Burial tone on the rareform re-release is intriguing me right now. I definitely want the clarity from the Coldsweats after your RGA8 clips that were posted recently though :)

jsousa

Reaction score
I'm contemplating an 8, but tuned up. Thinking maybe cbomb and mm neck..

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks, Nolly. I'd say specifically the After the Burial tone on the rareform re-release is intriguing me right now. I definitely want the clarity from the Coldsweats after your RGA8 clips that were posted recently though :)

Wicked, well I think the Cold Sweats will definitely get you where you want to go :yesway:

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
FWIW, my friend has a Cold Sweat in the bridge of his Intrepid and it sounds phenominal. Depending on how you play your 8-string (meaning if you use the low string a lot or very little), I'd say go for the CS if you're using the low string extensively. And Nolly summed up the main reason for my recommendation of it:

They are a great choice for an 8 because of how defined and the clear they are across the range.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Anyone have any clips using an 8 string BK Warpig, Painkiller, CS, or any of the other BK 8s?

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently did this clip with the Cold Sweat 8 in an Ibanez RGA8:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/RGA8 clip final.mp3

If you wouldn't mind; would you be able to recommend any pups (bkp or otherwise) for an 8-string Septor with a Mahog body/maple neck/rosewood fretboard? I have a set of C-pigs in my Xiphos 7, some SD Fullshreds in a mahog RG, and blackouts in a SC607, and I love the hell out of all of them... I'm just looking for something a bit different for my 8. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

Awesome clip btw :yesway:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
If you wouldn't mind; would you be able to recommend any pups (bkp or otherwise) for an 8-string Septor with a Mahog body/maple neck/rosewood fretboard? I have a set of C-pigs in my Xiphos 7, some SD Fullshreds in a mahog RG, and blackouts in a SC607, and I love the hell out of all of them... I'm just looking for something a bit different for my 8. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

Awesome clip btw :yesway:

Well, you have a few options open to you:

Bridge (no particular order):

1) Painkiller - Ridiculously tight, strong upper mids ("djenty"), very aggressive
2) Cold Sweat - Very clear, bright top end, open and dynamic
3) Rebel Yell - Smooth, very clear, punchy mids, very open
4) Warpig (alnico) - Very fat, dark, thick, saturated

Neck:

1) Painkiller - best choice for "TesseracT cleans", single coil-ish voicing
2) Cold Sweat - smooth, fluid, defined attack, tubular Petrucci lead tone
3) Rebel Yell - Hot Les Paul-type tone, dynamic, open
4) VHII - Very clear, defined, open, smooth
5) Miracle Man - Very hot and liquidy, articulate and smooth
6) Warpig - Fat, dark, fat, vintage vibe

I would only pair the Warpig bridge with the Warpig or Miracle Man neck personally. Bridges 1-3 can be be mixed and matched with necks 1-4 quite happily.
Those aren't the only ones that you could go with, but they're the ones I have had the best experiences with :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
having had a painkiller in my 8 string, i would go for a cold sweat the second time around. the painkiller is too smooth in the high end for my taste. doesn't do aforementioned "tesseract cleans" very well because of this, apparently unlike the neck pickup version.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that Nolly, that has certainly made making a choice a ton easier. :yesway:

having had a painkiller in my 8 string, i would go for a cold sweat the second time around. the painkiller is too smooth in the high end for my taste. doesn't do aforementioned "tesseract cleans" very well because of this, apparently unlike the neck pickup version.

I'm with you on that one, and judging from the descriptions above and what I've been hearing online, I've narrowed it down to Coldsweat/Rebel Yell for the bridge and probably the VHII for the neck.

I'll have to check out that band some more, because I never really considered the painkiller for the neck.

teqnick

Reaction score
The TesseracT cleans are amazing no doubt. A Coldsweat bridge , Painkiller neck is super intriguing right now. It's a tough decision and i may end up flipping a coin between that and the Coldsweat B/N combo.

teqnick

Reaction score
I went with ordering the PK bridge and CS neck. I'm thinking of putting a 5 way switch for coil splitting, but i'm not sure with which coils to pair. Anyways, pics will follow as soon as they are installed and what not. This could take a while. :O

Mukersman

Reaction score
I hope it's ok to bump this, but what might you recommend for a tone like on Steve Vai's for the love of god? I know they are of course the evolutions, but what other kind of juicy, saturated, tones can you get? i would just check the chart, but it's kinda hard to define a tone with words.

and how do you embed youtube videos?

Edit: lol nevermind

AscendingMatt

Reaction score
I was thinking about going w a painkiller Neck and coldsweat bridge, maybe even the aftermath neck. I wish someone had the same setup so I could listen. Also has anyone added a tone knob to their rga8?

Reaction score
Well, you have a few options open to you:

Bridge (no particular order):

1) Painkiller - Ridiculously tight, strong upper mids ("djenty"), very aggressive
2) Cold Sweat - Very clear, bright top end, open and dynamic
3) Rebel Yell - Smooth, very clear, punchy mids, very open
4) Warpig (alnico) - Very fat, dark, thick, saturated

Neck:

1) Painkiller - best choice for "TesseracT cleans", single coil-ish voicing
2) Cold Sweat - smooth, fluid, defined attack, tubular Petrucci lead tone
3) Rebel Yell - Hot Les Paul-type tone, dynamic, open
4) VHII - Very clear, defined, open, smooth
5) Miracle Man - Very hot and liquidy, articulate and smooth
6) Warpig - Fat, dark, fat, vintage vibe

I would only pair the Warpig bridge with the Warpig or Miracle Man neck personally. Bridges 1-3 can be be mixed and matched with necks 1-4 quite happily.
Those aren't the only ones that you could go with, but they're the ones I have had the best experiences with :yesway:

You seem quite knowledgeable about this subject but anyone please feel free to respond. I've considered going the simple route and dropping Active's in my RGA8 but I'm betting Passive's are simply going to sound better for the sound I like. I really like to play pinch harmonics so what Passive pickup is going to really bring them out and make them sizzle? My amps are a Peavey Vypyr and a 6505+ half stack if it matters.

Zachmandude

Reaction score
seeing as this thread is still alive, in a way, I'm going to drop in and ask for advice on a bridge pickup for my new 8 string Agile Intrepid 828 MN (single bridge humbucker).

The woods are new to me. The neck is maple on maple, and the body is swamp ash. I have to say that it sounds pretty damn good stock - a rarity for cheaper versions of any guitar. But I know full well that I will be opting for a new pickup soon enough. I've used quite a few different pickups over the years, and as of late have fallen on the PK bridge for my maple/rosewood neck, mahogany body baritones tuned from drop Db down to drop B. I also use a Duncan Full Shred in a PRS SE Santana for E standard down to drop Db. I likely would be using the AM had it already been out when I purchased the PK.

My amp is a Sovtek KT88 loaded Framus Cobra, with a 3/4 stack of cabs. Signal chain is pretty much def and direct. I use a Decimator pedal and occasionally throw a Dunlop Wah and a CMATMODS Compressor in the chain.

So, all that said, what do you recommend for a bridge pickup? I've been leaning towards the C-bomb, AM, and Cold Sweat. But now that I've seen PeteyG's vids with the Rebel Yell 8, I am up in the air even more so now. The thing is that the Framus Cobra is a fairly dry amp. And I feel that even with the PK, I might be missing some nice "feely" highs... if that makes any sense. If this guitar were my standard woods (mahogany/rosewood), I'd throw an AM in it and be done with it, most likely. But with the all maple neck and ash body, I'm in a new world of tone. As for playing style, I will definitely be using ALL of the strings ALL of the time, with plenty of riffage and play on the F# (or low E), B, and E. I'd like to be able to play fairly fast on the lowest string too.

Thank you for taking time to read this, and Zimbloth, you've thrown another wrench in the equation by using a BD and/or Emerald with an Engl Invader. I thought that those pickups in an 8 string would really only work well with the Axefx type stuff... hmm. Lastly, I'm open to the Dactivator 8 as well.