8 string just for fun - Ibanez RG8 or RGIF8/RGIM8MH?

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I will take standard 808's over those cort bass things everytime. Those things are actual cancer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Ibanez RGMS7 & LOVE it. Pups are okay but IDK about replacement options. I know the RGMS8 won't be AS comfy, but still...

A previous comment suggested 9 string pickups (active, I assume) fit the RGMS8, is that true? Anything else fit (other than custom Elysian or Instrumental pups)?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
I have a Ibanez RGMS7 & LOVE it. Pups are okay but IDK about replacement options. I know the RGMS8 won't be AS comfy, but still...

A previous comment suggested 9 string pickups (active, I assume) fit the RGMS8, is that true? Anything else fit (other than custom Elysian or Instrumental pups)?

Actives would require routing on the RGMS8. Passive 8 string pickups MIGHT be able to be made to fit, but they wouldn't be ideal. Here's RGMS8 design vs the widest 8 string bobbins you can get (non-WSC bobbins):

RGMS8Comparison.jpg

The cyan lines are the standard bobbins. As you can see, the neck pickup may work, but the pole alignment on the bridge may be far enough out of whack you'd lose volume on the lowest and highest strings. 9 string pickups wouldn't fit either, as the bobbins would be wider than the actual route in the RGMS8.

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's Very helpful to know, Thank you. I have some great 8 string (passive) pups but I don't know if I could somehow alter them to fit (I.e. make them slanted) or route the the cavities for actives.

A. Is routing necessary because actives don't fit? I.e. it's not simply b/c a battery cavity is needed, right? (as that's one thing, whereas resizing pickup cavities is another - not confident I can do that).

B. Has anyone converted pickups to multi-scale? I read about removing the baseplate but don't know much beyond that, & if it's doable.

Last edited:

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I figure active are easiest since I don't have to worry about pole pieces (as long as I can get active pups to fit, it should work fine as long as I make room for a battery, no?

Rob Joyner

Reaction score
I got an RGIM8MH and I love it.
You probably won't be able to change the PUs because those are 9 string EMG X. I have no idea what would fit in there

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got an RGIM8MH and I love it.
You probably won't be able to change the PUs because those are 9 string EMG X. I have no idea what would fit in there

I guess EMG909x were used in 2018, EMG909 before that (I have a 2017 w/ 909 set)...
Good point about the pickups. Come to think of it, the model that effectively "replaced" that guitar - the RGMS8 - makes pickup changes even harder (they're passive/slanted). Plus, the pickups are Ibanez, so the desire to swap them will be many times higher.

Last edited:

Chabo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I figure active are easiest since I don't have to worry about pole pieces (as long as I can get active pups to fit, it should work fine as long as I make room for a battery, no?
I was about to say yes, that's true, then realized I wrote this comment.
Yikes.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
I picked up a used RG8 off of the Guitar Center used website for dirt cheap ($199) a few years back on a whim to try out 8 strings, and am so glad I did. I replaced the pickups with a used set of BKP's, strung it with the NYXL 9-80 set, and have a killer sounding workhorse for $400. I actually play it more than my MIJ RG6 and 7. The main quality issue with it is sharp fret ends, which I do want to address at some point, but otherwise the neck feels great. Ideally you will want to be able to try a few out in person to make sure you do not get a dud; I'm sure there are plenty out there.