8 String Koto Harp Technique. Playthrough Video

• Thread starter Zac Tiessen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zac Tiessen

Reaction score
Here is the link for the playthrough video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93JYEijISc&list=UUHqvoxmaEb2uqPkRLEkkU8Q

This song is an original composition of mine. I named it "TSU" because this song evokes an element of surprise. In Japanese a "TSU" is the accent placed on something denoting an exclamation or question mark. While studying different harps and how they are tuned I stumbled upon the Japanese Koto. It is a 13-stringed harp that utilizes some of the typical pentatonic scales characteristic of Japanese music. I tuned my 8 string guitar accordingly to emulate this style of harp playing.

The technique used on the main melody is called the Koto Technique, which I adapted from Eric Johnson here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DFF2MbgQ8

Hope you enjoy! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I'm watching it on a cell phone and its not doing the audio justice but that's very cool.

I applaud you, and welcome to the forum.

:yesway:

stuglue

Reaction score
Great stuff, very relaxing. Some of those stretches look very challenging yet you make it look effortless. Any advice or exercises you've got to develop that?

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
In the nicest way possible I mean this:

You look like a pretty Asian girl.

Well played sir <3

Anchang-Style

Reaction score
Neat outfit and really love the Sound you produce and yeah it really sounds very similiar. Thumbs up, would love a "koto" style solo in an actual song context :D

Zac Tiessen

Reaction score
Great stuff, very relaxing. Some of those stretches look very challenging yet you make it look effortless. Any advice or exercises you've got to develop that?

I use the Planet Waves Varigrip to help strengthen my fingers. I do have to admit that this song definitely pushed me to my physical limits. My suggestion would be to challenge yourself, but not to the point of pain. It took me about a month to be able to play certain parts of this song pain free.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, glad you enjoy it :)

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
That was really cool - loved the music and the techniques employed therein.

The Koto technique looks really interesting. Definitely going to have a play around with that and see what I can do with it.

Thanks for sharing!

vansinn

Reaction score
There are times I feel like stopping playing.. ;)
Absolutely lovely :agreed: - and cool stuff too in your other vids.

Skyblue

Reaction score
A very cool technique, I'll definitely give it a try!

As for the song- First of all, really cool! My only criticism might be that I kind of lacked in shape (you had the melody, than kinda jammed away on chord-melodies, than melody again, than some cool tapping) which led to it kinda not feeling cohesive as a piece... But it sounds much harsher than I meant it to be- I wish I could play half that good! And your melodic sense is amazing. Sub'ed for sure!

Zac Tiessen

Reaction score
A very cool technique, I'll definitely give it a try!

As for the song- First of all, really cool! My only criticism might be that I kind of lacked in shape (you had the melody, than kinda jammed away on chord-melodies, than melody again, than some cool tapping) which led to it kinda not feeling cohesive as a piece... But it sounds much harsher than I meant it to be- I wish I could play half that good! And your melodic sense is amazing. Sub'ed for sure!

Thanks for your feedback! I have been trying to improve in this area lately, and am aware of it. I feel I have improved on this aspect of composing since my first EP, but my songs still could use a bit more repetition. I will keep this in mind moving forward. Thanks for subscribing! :)

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I cannot even begin to understand the theory behind what you're playing, but it sounds absolutely phenomenal. You're already a far better player than I, bravo dude!

thearistocat

Reaction score
Haha, I saw some of your AAL videos a while back and wondered if you were on here. Freakin beast, cool song.