8-string multiscale tremolo hantug vs agile vs kiesel

• Thread starter JediMasterThrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
For the longest time, the only multiscale trem options were the kahler (agile) or hantug (aristides).

Just recently it seems, agile has created their own 8-string multiscale trem to replace the kahler.
And then I just saw Kiesel did their first 8-string multiscale trem offering, and it also appears to be a custom.

Anyone got some pros/cons/comparisons between these?

In my knowledge, the main thing that makes a trem quality or crap is the grade of steel used on the knife edges and posts. That's pretty much the only contact point that controls how well it returns to pitch and holds sustain.
The string locking mechanism and string guides probably also play a role.
The bar attachment mechanism also is a huge deal, so it doesn't helicopter or rattle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also very interested in this topic. So far Floyd Rose is still the best 8 string trem Ive tried, but havent tried aristides or kiesel yet. Kahler was good but doesn't flutter so not for me.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Kiesel's is made by Hipshot. It's pivots are the same "bearings" they use on their Contour trems, and all of their headless trems.:
1713774058987.png

The bar attachment mechanism a plastic collar down in the block of the trem, and then there's a set screw you can tighten to the tension you want, and can crank on it to get it to stick in a position, though the tighter you make it, the less likely you'll be able to slide the arm in and out. You can get it tight enough that it won't fall out, but you can pull it out if you intentially pull it straight...but it's unlikly to come out even if you turn the guitar upside down and shake it. This is the same on both the standard and headless, straight and multi-scale Hipshot trems:
1713774216603.png

Other than this "on paper" information, I can't speak about any experience with multiscale trems, since I ain't got none.