8 string single course build.

• Thread starter heavy7-665
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Well I recently discovered a build thread by another member on here(tonywozere) of an 8 string headless guitar. I was very VERY impressed at the work and hit him up with some ideas. He sent me a rough sketch:

59037_155743334451798_100000483963207_480736_1089150_n.jpg

I loved the idea.

Here are the proposed specs

Scale: 35-32 fretted.
Tuning: G C G C F A# D# G#
Pickups: Two custom Villexs
Woods: Not decided yet.
Neck-thru.

I know I'm missing stuff but my brain is in a rush lol

Opinions/comments? Also go check out tony's other fantastic builds :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Man, I'd consider going longer. My Dingwall is 34-37" and sounds and feels amazing on the low B without being too much of a compromise to play (and I have small hands).

Going down an octave and a 3rd from that is going to require some serious strings, and if you're going fanned already it'd probably be easier to go longer and get some more tension that way.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Man, I'd consider going longer. My Dingwall is 34-37" and sounds and feels amazing on the low B without being too much of a compromise to play (and I have small hands).

Going down an octave and a 3rd from that is going to require some serious strings, and if you're going fanned already it'd probably be easier to go longer and get some more tension that way.

Im not going down an octave :lol: My lowest note is actually just B dropped to G.

Its the higher strings im worried about.

SD83

Reaction score
I can't help but this, like most 8-string bass designs has a body that looks way too small for the neck... I'll be honest: I do not like the body shape. At all. The headstock on the other hand looks nice ;)
I have a bit of trouble to understand your tuning... the two lowest strings are B & E string tuned down 4 semi-tones, the six higher strings are normal 6-string bass (B,E,A... etc) tuned up 8 semi-tones? (G0, C1, G1, C2, F2, A#2, D#3, G#3 if I got it right, someone please correct me if not). If that is the case, I wouldn't be worried at all about the high strings, the octave strings for the "other" 8-string basses can handle G3 on 34'', so G#3 on 32'' should be no probleme. In fact, I guess they should be able to work on 34'' and G# as well.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
might be a bit neck heavy? mght be worth reworking the top horn and slide it foward a bit

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty sweet.

If you made the body proportional to a guitar body, the body would be super huge.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
I can't help but this, like most 8-string bass designs has a body that looks way too small for the neck... I'll be honest: I do not like the body shape. At all. The headstock on the other hand looks nice ;)
I have a bit of trouble to understand your tuning... the two lowest strings are B & E string tuned down 4 semi-tones, the six higher strings are normal 6-string bass (B,E,A... etc) tuned up 8 semi-tones? (G0, C1, G1, C2, F2, A#2, D#3, G#3 if I got it right, someone please correct me if not). If that is the case, I wouldn't be worried at all about the high strings, the octave strings for the "other" 8-string basses can handle G3 on 34'', so G#3 on 32'' should be no probleme. In fact, I guess they should be able to work on 34'' and G# as well.

Take a standard 6 string bass(BEADGC) and add to extra high strings (F, A#)

so take that and tune it down a full step (ADGCFA#D#G#)

Now drop the A and D to G and C.

The guages are 135(145) 115 85 65 45 30 20 12.

Im worried about the 12 mostly on a normal scale.

defchime

Reaction score
I actually think the body compliments the neck very well.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread...lets see some exotic woods and crazy inlay work.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty sweet.

If you made the body proportional to a guitar body, the body would be super huge.

This, im digging the shape. Somehow it reminds me a bit of cataclysmichael's ilustrated 8... Its probably that scoop at the bottom

As for the size I think It's fine. I'm facing the same problem on my build. The way that I believe works best is the one with the body being disproportionate to the rest. It looks odd, yeah... But its the good kind of odd I think. And, it wont be 100 pounds

heavy7-665

Reaction score
This, im digging the shape. Somehow it reminds me a bit of cataclysmichael's ilustrated 8... Its probably that scoop at the bottom

As for the size I think It's fine. I'm facing the same problem on my build. The way that I believe works best is the one with the body being disproportionate to the rest. It looks odd, yeah... But its the good kind of odd I think. And, it wont be 100 pounds

Weight is indeed a concern.

SD83

Reaction score
Take a standard 6 string bass(BEADGC) and add to extra high strings (F, A#)

so take that and tune it down a full step (ADGCFA#D#G#)

Now drop the A and D to G and C.

The guages are 135(145) 115 85 65 45 30 20 12.

Im worried about the 12 mostly on a normal scale.

I had a .40 for (bass) G and a .20 for the octave string on my 8string, and if I'm not mistaken, the octave string is only one semitone below your G# (which is, if I got it correctly, one semitone above the guitar G string, right?). I gotta say, I never tuned it up above the E, and it's rather tight, but still it's made to work as an octave G string on 34''.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Looks awesome! :hbang: I'd also suggest going longer scale going by my experiences:
35" 130 gauge in B - perfect. I wanted to drop to A and it was awful. a 145 was perfect. I now play in G# and would want a slightly longer scale with this gauge string. Going to G I would recommend 36.5 or 37" and 145 gauge.