8 string single course build.

• Thread starter heavy7-665
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
DSCF2787.jpg

DSCF2786.jpg

DSCF2785.jpg

Possible wood for the top.

The more I look at that, the more :wub: I feel.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Just got my first payment though. AWESOME. I'll be ordering a shit ton of wood next week, expect some progress. Unfortunately, however, Xmas holidays mean I wont be able to get into the workshop and getting things done might be quite tricky at home. My no means impossible! But it'll be slow until the new year I expect.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Also there are some updates to the specs.

9 string single course bass tuned F# B E A D G C F A#
35-31" fan
24 frets
custom pickups
ect

Ruins

Reaction score
interesting build! i like weird shapes and especially how you are plan to tune it.
BUT! i really must warn you, this is going to turn out massively neck heavy.
it will dive in every position and situation. the reason for that is:
long neck, big weight on the headstock, strap button is placed very far away from the center line of the guitar.
i have the same issue with my Baritone build, it is not something worse but really annoying. judging by your skatch it is going to be way worse than mine.

to clarify exactly what i mean, look at standard shapes like Ibanez RG, fender Strats, etc the location of the strp button is very close to the 12th fret.
now look at shapes like Jackson RR, Ibanez Xiphos, the strap button is located beneath the 24th fret or not far away from it. this shapes are very well known for serious neck diving problems.
some people solve this problem by having very large leather strap and some relocate the position of the strap button.
before you are going to cut your expensive wood, i highly encourage you to try this balance issue on some mockup out of cheap wood.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Cheers for the heads up man. The body was always going to need some more work on it. The scales and neck width aren't right on the mockup, so I'll have a chance to rectify, to the best of my ability, the possible problems with balance. Thanks again!

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Also Im wanting a 35-31 fan and I was wanting some opinions just to confirm that it will be fine.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
No Villex pickups now? Might I suggest an Audere 4 band pre amp they are very transparent and versatile. Why not try 36 to 32 scale also that seems to be the best scales for that tunning in my experiance.

heavy7-665

Reaction score
No Villex pickups now? Might I suggest an Audere 4 band pre amp they are very transparent and versatile. Why not try 36 to 32 scale also that seems to be the best scales for that tunning in my experiance.

Villex was going to be difficult, but Anthony found another company.

Im more worried about the high end than the low end.

cerfew

Reaction score
Ooh, I like the new proposed design much better. (even though I liked the first too)

Good luck!!